soda

Newbie few questions

Hi everyone, I'm new to making lures and I just made a wooden fat belly minnow lure.  Its 6 inches long made out of pine. Its a top water lure with a lip that I want it to go about 5 to 8 ft deep. So I'm at the point where I'm gluing lead weight to the belly to find that perfect floating height in the water. No matter how much weight I place the lure leans on its right side. All the sides look even, I tried placing the weight in numerous locations...its weird and I'm starting to the one side of the wood is heavier even though it looks even. Any help would be appreciated.

Also one more question. I'm finding that when I make wooden lures the weight of the lures I make are never the same weight in the store bought lures. Meaning if I buy a 6 inch lure in the store its light as a feather and If I was to try and make the same lure mine would weight much heavier. I know its probably different material, wood type ect...but Its hard to explain, its like a different feeling of weight if that makes sense. I don't really feel the weight with store bought lures.

Thank everyone in advance...

• Like 1

Ok for your present lure issue does your lure float level side to side? If so it likely is not a balance issue 

Is the lip perfectly straight? If the lip slot is crooked it will swim to one side 

if you line tie is crooked/off center it will also swim to one side 

as for commercial lure weight vs had made lure. Material used is often the case and depending on the design differences less weight maybe needed too. Lure size is just one factor 

hope this helps

• Like 1

11 hours ago, soda said:

Hi everyone, I'm new to making lures and I just made a wooden fat belly minnow lure.  Its 6 inches long made out of pine. Its a top water lure with a lip that I want it to go about 5 to 8 ft deep. So I'm at the point where I'm gluing lead weight to the belly to find that perfect floating height in the water. No matter how much weight I place the lure leans on its right side. All the sides look even, I tried placing the weight in numerous locations...its weird and I'm starting to the one side of the wood is heavier even though it looks even. Any help would be appreciated.

Also one more question. I'm finding that when I make wooden lures the weight of the lures I make are never the same weight in the store bought lures. Meaning if I buy a 6 inch lure in the store its light as a feather and If I was to try and make the same lure mine would weight much heavier. I know its probably different material, wood type ect...but Its hard to explain, its like a different feeling of weight if that makes sense. I don't really feel the weight with store bought lures.

Thank everyone in advance...

Hi, have you definitely got your centre line on point & is the weight you're adding dead centre? This would be my first point too check if the bait is leaning over to one side.

There are so many differing variations in lure design, be it, store, hobby, custom or hand made that too pin point why you can't always match them for action & weight would be a nightmare, if you think about it, store lures can be made from a completely different wood or material, such as plastic, some can be hollowed out have rattle chambers in them etc, different top coat weights, paints, ballasts :mellow: the list goes on!

I would suggest making something you're happy with yourself, do your own thing and learn along the way, ask lots of questions on here & the guys will help out & trust me they know their stuff!

I was in a similar position too you a few years back and as most suggest you just have to try stuff out, if you do want to get as near to store bought lures as possible  then maybe resin molds may be an option for you.

Andy.

Normally if your bait lists to one side.

weight is not centered.

bait is off... meaning that left and right side or not equal.

If the bait is tall... you're not using enough weight.

without pictures from multiple angles tough to nail down the problem.

My .02

• Like 1