RiverSmallieGuy

Wood density and through wiring

I have never made my balsa baits with through wire, though I drill my center weight hole and then drill a hole from front line tie to back line tie, going through the weight hole.  I then fill the weight hole with epoxy and blow it through to fill the holes to the line ties and insert my hardware.  This gives me a solid core of epoxy.  My line ties I either twist or twist back the ends so they are anchored in the solidified epoxy.

• Like 1

I have not had any problems with twisted wire eyes epoxied into balsa.  I don't go quite as far as "kakuip's" excellent method in the previous post but I do fairly long twisted eyes and if not coming out the other side like with the hook eyes, I drill a pilot hole, put epoxy in until it comes out the vent, put my finger over the vent and insert the twisted eye.

Beware the "various densities" thou.  The balsa I bought at Hobby Lobby or Michaels craft stores ran about 7 lbs per cubic foot.  The baits I made with it really caught the fish with flat side cranks and 7" wake baits but I have been unable to make them durable.  No twisted eye failures but the top protective coating eventually develops cracks then finally a chunk comes out.  Top coats were D2T and also Solarez UV.  Since then I have ordered graded balsa from "Specialized Balsa" in Colorado.  I have the 10-14 Lb. per cu.ft.   I hope that is going to make my baits more durable and still catch fish as well.  Also, since then I was lucky to get some western cedar which feels great when sealed with penetrating epoxy and makes a great wood knock on wake baits.

• Like 3

My method was actually from an article from Tom Seward that was in Fishing Fact's magazine, way back in the day.  Tom Seward was a great guy and responded personally to letters I sent him asking questions about lure designing and sent me his fingerling and bullcat lures.

• Like 2

Like Barrybait, Early on I got some “competition balsa” not realizing that it was 6 lbs/cu ft, but I eventually used it up.  First, I used thru wire.  Worked ok but was a little finicky to do.  Then I tried epoxying in hand twisted wires.  I’ve never had one pull out of a bait yet and it’s easier and faster to do.  I just don’t see a downside to it. Oh, and like Barrybait, I now order 12 lbs/cu ft balsa to get more durable wood.  The lightest balsa is super buoyant but damages too quickly in the rough stuff. 

• Like 3