goclones

Hook points not aligning with weed guard

I have encountered a strange issue that seems to have coincided with a new batch of Mustad hooks. 5/O 60-degree flat eyes all of a sudden are not aligning with the weed guard. I haven't had an issue before. Just eyeballing the hooks, they look straight, but maybe slightly off? The eyes certainly do not seem perfectly perpendicular to the shaft. Hard to say, but the hook point is off far enough to be right on the edge of the outer strands of the weed guard. When I pop a 4/O of the same model hook in, no issues. 

Anybody ever get hooks that are off enough to cause this to happen? 

There is an easy solution for this. After you pour the jigs, take a look at the hook point in relation to the hook eye or weedguard hole. If they are off center, take a pair of pliers and twist the hook bend to center. This doesn't damage the hook. I notice this many times when pouring spinnerbaits. Sometimes the hook lies too low in the mold and once poured they are off center. You can also do this when you finish painting and or finish skirting a jig. I always look at my jigs once they are complete skirted.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, cadman said:

There is an easy solution for this. After you pour the jigs, take a look at the hook point in relation to the hook eye or weedguard hole. If they are off center, take a pair of pliers and twist the hook bend to center. This doesn't damage the hook. I notice this many times when pouring spinnerbaits. Sometimes the hook lies too low in the mold and once poured they are off center. You can also do this when you finish painting and or finish skirting a jig. I always look at my jigs once they are complete skirted.

That's what I've been doing. Kind of hoping the next batch of hooks doesn't require the extra work.

Over the years, I've poured 10's of thousand jigs. Unfortunately you get a box of hooks that just aren't quite perfect. So like you and I we have to do a bit of tweaking. Is it practical, no, but in order to finish orders you gotta' do what you gotta' do to make it right.  I have to give you credit, at least you saw the problem and corrected it even if you have to do a box of 1000 hooks. You would not believe some of the jigs I've seen from people over the years. It seems like the quality has gotten worse over the years as people just want to sell jigs and don't care how they look. Props to you for taking the time to make good jigs.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, cadman said:

Over the years, I've poured 10's of thousand jigs. Unfortunately you get a box of hooks that just aren't quite perfect. So like you and I we have to do a bit of tweaking. Is it practical, no, but in order to finish orders you gotta' do what you gotta' do to make it right.  I have to give you credit, at least you saw the problem and corrected it even if you have to do a box of 1000 hooks. You would not believe some of the jigs I've seen from people over the years. It seems like the quality has gotten worse over the years as people just want to sell jigs and don't care how they look. Props to you for taking the time to make good jigs.

Thanks...last thing I or most of us want is an unhappy customer. Thankfully, this was a 100-count box, so not a huge lot to deal with.