alsworms

Cover Scat

Many years ago I read and article regarding.  I don't recall if was one specifically about Berkley powerbait and their lab testing facilities or a Bassmaster's article about fishing craws.   The thing I recall from the article was that when Berkley was working on power craw design they found that plain tubes or the craw body with the pinchers removed elicited the most strikes.  Of course during that time no company would market or sell something like that to the average bass guy.

How things have changed.  :lolhuh:

4 minutes ago, Travis said:

Many years ago I read and article regarding.  I don't recall if was one specifically about Berkley powerbait and their lab testing facilities or a Bassmaster's article about fishing craws.   The thing I recall from the article was that when Berkley was working on power craw design they found that plain tubes or the craw body with the pinchers removed elicited the most strikes.  Of course during that time no company would market or sell something like that to the average bass guy.

How things have changed.  :lolhuh:

Yeah that makes me think of a fish I caught a few months back on a Rage Craw.  Missed a fish in about 3 feet of water an threw right back in there.  As my craw was in the air, I told my son, "My bait looks weird.  I think it's missing a claw!"  This time I didn't miss it and sure enough when I got it in, it was missing one claw.  Obviously, that fish ripped it off when he slammed it and I didn't notice.  I know fish will sometimes injure their prey before they nail it and I'm sure this is what happened.  Also made me think why not make a mold with a missing claw??  Something to ponder.......

4 minutes ago, Canga~ said:

the hook up tackle makes a "whats new at the hook up tackle" video every sunday, they talk about the cover scat all the time, and sell the shit out of it. i personally havent bought any, but they seem to get good reviews and catch fish. 

Well I'm gonna find out.  Just bought a couple packs. LOL.  Do you know how long they've been out?

On 9/8/2022 at 5:26 PM, alsworms said:

Yeah that makes me think of a fish I caught a few months back on a Rage Craw.  Missed a fish in about 3 feet of water an threw right back in there.  As my craw was in the air, I told my son, "My bait looks weird.  I think it's missing a claw!"  This time I didn't miss it and sure enough when I got it in, it was missing one claw.  Obviously, that fish ripped it off when he slammed it and I didn't notice.  I know fish will sometimes injure their prey before they nail it and I'm sure this is what happened.  Also made me think why not make a mold with a missing claw??  Something to ponder.......

For years I fished the Fat Ika for the same reason.  Berkley said the most hit bait was a cylinder, which is like a craw without claws.

• Like 1

Mad man craw was an anatomically correct bait that looked just like a real crawfish but I think the problem was it didn't move like a real crawfish in the water .

From what I can remember from reading about the Berkley testing was that they made a bait to look like a crawfish that the test fish did not respond to in the manner they expected . In an effort to figure out why they started removing the bait's appendages to see what was putting the fish off about the bait . 

When the claws and all of the legs were removed the fish finally took interest .

I remember one theory was that the fish weren't sure what the bait was having never seen anything like it before so curiosity made them bite it ?  

I think ambiguity could also be a factor . If a lure can be thought of by a bass to be a crawfish , baitfish , or other potential food item they will be more likely to bite it .  A tube bait doesn't look exactly like a craw or bait fish but it could be close enough to be interpreted by a bass to be one and a bass typically doesn't want a for sure meal to get away .  (Disclaimer : Thats what I think but I get skunked a lot)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jigmeister said:

Mad man craw was an anatomically correct bait that looked just like a real crawfish but I think the problem was it didn't move like a real crawfish in the water .

From what I can remember from reading about the Berkley testing was that they made a bait to look like a crawfish that the test fish did not respond to in the manner they expected . In an effort to figure out why they started removing the bait's appendages to see what was putting the fish off about the bait . 

When the claws and all of the legs were removed the fish finally took interest .

I remember one theory was that the fish weren't sure what the bait was having never seen anything like it before so curiosity made them bite it ?  

I think ambiguity could also be a factor . If a lure can be thought of by a bass to be a crawfish , baitfish , or other potential food item they will be more likely to bite it .  A tube bait doesn't look exactly like a craw or bait fish but it could be close enough to be interpreted by a bass to be one and a bass typically doesn't want a for sure meal to get away .  (Disclaimer : Thats what I think but I get skunked a lot)

Right there with ya, brother.  I like to think I know what I'm doing........until I try to do it.  LOL 

Personally, I've always wondered why bass think a jig is a crawdad, but I'm no bass!

2 hours ago, alsworms said:

Right there with ya, brother.  I like to think I know what I'm doing........until I try to do it.  LOL 

Personally, I've always wondered why bass think a jig is a crawdad, but I'm no bass!

I think it's because they read Bassmaster Mag.  Hahaha  Good luck when you do get on the water.

• Haha 1