Kerryd15

inline spinner with fly that doesnt spin!

Hi guys, new here, i am building an inline spinner with a fly attached- similar to a Joes Elite striker?  The fish i am targeting seem very hesitant to bite on a fly that is rotating behind the spinner. my goal is to have the blade spin and the rest stay straight. i am using some squirrel tail on the bottom and elk hair on the top. i can get 30 to 50 percent of them to not rotate till they are beat up. i have used some lead wire to weight the bottom side. i use the elk to flair and be boyant. wondering if a piece of foam tied on top or any other suggestions to keep the fly part from spinning. i have had no issues with the spinner or other components. thanks for any ideas.

1626078097_spinnersly.JPG

One of the reasons I use a small swivel when fishing in-lines is because they all spin around. The only in-line I ever used that didn't completely turn much during the retrieve was the Mepps Comet with the minnow. While it didn't spin a lot the fact is that it still did. I think you did the right thing in using a buoyant material on top of the hook to keep it riding up. That is probably the best way to keep the fly oriented the right way but it will still spin sometimes, especially in current.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Kerryd15 said:

Hi guys, new here, i am building an inline spinner with a fly attached- similar to a Joes Elite striker?  The fish i am targeting seem very hesitant to bite on a fly that is rotating behind the spinner. my goal is to have the blade spin and the rest stay straight. i am using some squirrel tail on the bottom and elk hair on the top. i can get 30 to 50 percent of them to not rotate till they are beat up. i have used some lead wire to weight the bottom side. i use the elk to flair and be boyant. wondering if a piece of foam tied on top or any other suggestions to keep the fly part from spinning. i have had no issues with the spinner or other components. thanks for any ideas.

1626078097_spinnersly.JPG

You might try adding another bead or two in front of the body, to be sure your blade has plenty of room to spin without hitting the body.

They spin because there isn't enough weight to counteract the inertia of the blade.  You may try using a heavier spinner body or and offset-weight spinner body that's crimped to the thruwire.  There was a spinner made a while back that had a body similar to a rooster tail, but the wire went through it at a slight angle resulting in a 'bottom weighted' style spinner.  

• Like 1

I have made tons of spinners and have dealt with what you are dealing with.  As stated above the inertia of the blade will cause rotation.  I put inline swivels on the eyes of all my spinners.  This prevents line twist, but blade inertia will still cause the rest of the fly to rotate.  To overcome the blade inertia, any weight you have added to the wire would have to be connected to wire.  Just placing more brass beads or bodies on won't solve the issue because they are just riding on the wire and the blade inertia will rotate the wire and your hook.  I have tried using a swivel at the back of lure that I attached a split ring to and the dressed hook.  This did help, but the extra length and the new pivot points would allow the hook to tangle up with the spinner while casting.  In short it somewhat solved one problem, but created another.  Next I used EWG hooks with large plastics on the back that had a high profile along the length of the body. (example 3-4" shad type bait)  These would rotate about 30-50 degrees to one side.  It drove me nuts, but not the fish.  To solve this, I bought EWG hooks that had lead weights molded onto the bottom of the hook.  1/8 oz. worked the best.  Solved this problem but created the next, and that is now the spinner rode tail down.  Solutions was to add more weight to the wire behind the spinner, now the spinner was heavy as hell!

One solution to overcome blade inertia is show in the photo below. 

If you look at Mepps spinfly or other flies, they are tied so there is no right side up!  They rotate and it doesn't matter because there is no top or bottom!  Minus the solution shown in the photo, you are fighting a fight you can't win!  Trust me, I have been through this battle!

ezgif.com-gif-maker.png