dlaery

wire bender

I am making some umbrella rigs:?

I have a Hagens wire former, not fond of it for umbrella rigs because it spins the wire shaft to wrap the loop, the boggs looks like the shaft and loop stays stationary while the  short wire is just wrapped around the shaft. can someone confirm or not if that is the way the boggs works?

Thanks,

On 9/23/2022 at 6:37 AM, dlaery said:

I am making some umbrella rigs:?

I have a Hagens wire former, not fond of it for umbrella rigs because it spins the wire shaft to wrap the loop, the boggs looks like the shaft and loop stays stationary while the  short wire is just wrapped around the shaft. can someone confirm or not if that is the way the boggs works?

Thanks,

I doubt your umbrella rig will fit in a Boggs.

It limits your length too much. I would buy a Twistech if I were you.

No length limit on a Twistech!

I have a Twistech and a Twistech Magnum. They are my favorite wire former at the moment.

I have a Hagens as well and I do like it but I just like the Twistech a little better.

Edited by Kasilofchrisn
  • Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 5:31 AM, dlaery said:

thanks for that, I had a twistech a few years ago and didn't like it, I don't remember why.

I have managed to make the Hagens work. I rig the wires before we cast them in the head. worked out good.

Thanks!

It would be interesting to hear what you didn't like about the Twistech. I find mine to be an excellent wire former and I'm quite pleased with it.

I even like it better than my Hagens.

I've watched a few YouTube videos on the Boggs and I think the Hagens and twistech are just far superior machines. I seriously doubt the Boggs would work at all for an umbrella rig.

But I'm glad you worked it out with your Hagens!

I was making unbrella rigs and didn't like how the twistech would rotate the whole rig and twist up the other wires just like the hagens did. also I was making bottom bouncers and I am sure the .051 wire was too big for the twisttech.

I was thinking I might try to modify the Boggs to make it longer, but decided to stay with the Hagens.

3 hours ago, dlaery said:

I was making unbrella rigs and didn't like how the twistech would rotate the whole rig and twist up the other wires just like the hagens did. also I was making bottom bouncers and I am sure the .051 wire was too big for the twisttech.

I was thinking I might try to modify the Boggs to make it longer, but decided to stay with the Hagens.

The Twistech Magnum is designed for up to .051 wire.

And should easily make spreader rigs or bottom bouncers.

From watching videos on the Boggs I just can't see how it would be any easier to make an umbrella rig on one of them.

I don't think it would be easy to modify the Boggs either. So I can see why you stuck with the Hagens especially since you made it work for you.

Good luck and good fishing to you!

• Like 1

I have tried the Twistech and now own the Hagens.  I liked the Twistech and thought it did an outstanding job.  The only thing I didn't like about the Twistech was the larger loop eye it made.  On small trout and panfish spinners it just looked awkward. 

I have the small diameter loop dies for the Hagens and love it.  If the eye loop diameter is not a concern, The Twistech is great.  Minus the eye loop diameter, both of these wire formers are well built and fully capable of making great spinners.

• Like 1