fishhook

Clear Coat

You have been a member for 8 years and posted 82 times, and you ask this question. I don't know what to say. If you were a new member I might suggest to search and read. You would not have to look far as every third post in the hardbait section is about topcoats!

Dave

• Like 1

IMO Devcon is near the bottom as far as finishes go. If you wish to stick with epoxy, BSI 30 minute is less brittle, yellows less and is more forgiving. If you are only doing 1-5 baits at a time it would be my recommendation. That being said, I switched to spraying Tamco 9500 catalyzed automotive urethane 2 years ago and will never go back to epoxy. It's advantages are: it is thin, crystal clear, 100% non-yellowing, rock hard, rated for submersion so it is 100% waterproof and it cures fast. Fast enough that you can do 3 coats and be ready for hooks and hardware in less than an hour. A few disadvantages: A respirator and GOOD ventilation are a must, it's not suited to doing small numbers of baits (I do 20-30 at a time) and you'll do best by having a dedicated brush. I use a Sparmax bottle feed with a .7 nozzle. 

I'm sure others will chime in plus you can do a search for more options. Everyone has their favorites and the more options you look at the better.

• Like 1