Senkosam

I just discovered something - 'soft plastic hybrids' don't belong in this forum re: hybrids

In fact correct me if I'm wrong: posts on this site are not concerned with soft-plastic design innovation/modification. No fishing site forums have members that show much or any interest no matter the hundreds of photos posted showing what is possible (minus being limited to the usual from commercial sources).

Hard baits and all of the scientific jargon (way above my head) that relate to hard lure design thankfully don't apply to my creations. Sure, I can attach labels to the actions the lures produce, but fish don't have much of a vocabulary when it comes to labels. The lures either piss them off or don't. Good designs that do get put on the wall for future use are considered for future modification when that part of my brain awakens with, Why the H didn't I think of that sooner!!?  

In any case it's no wonder this site gets few posts when it comes to lure making and innovation. Lazy minds think alike - just like in politics: giving them a line they can easily accept and support blindly, regardling mass produced products/ simple assertions and lies and they will return daily en masse, with nothing new or interesting to offer or object to.

Edited by Senkosam

I have never ‘fished’ soft plastics, in fact, I have never ‘fished’ hard baits in earnest, only testing to see if they swim and interest the fish. My local fishing waters do not allow lures, only bait fishing allowed, and then, only certain baits and tackle arrangements. Fishing these competition ponds is all about the skill of the angler with bait and tackle being a level playing field.

The dictionary defines hybrid as; combining two different elements.

My interpretation of hybrid is a lure that combines any of the standard classifications; hard-bait, soft plastic, wire-bait or fly. But, many members define a hybrid as a combination of two different soft plastics. In my opinion, such same genre combinations belong in ‘soft plastics', not ‘hybrids’. It is a complex issue because most wire-baits are a combination of a wire-bait and a soft plastic trailer, technically these are ‘hybrids’ but should be counted as wire-baits.

I don’t get involved in any of this as I only do hard-baits with the occasional soft-plastic contribution.

Soft-plastics follow the same fluid dynamic rules as hard-baits as do all lures. There is just as much room for innovation in soft-baits as in hard-baits, but members don’t seem to get involved that deep. Soft-plastics is a different style of fishing. As far as I know, soft-plastics will usually win over other types of lure, but I am dedicated to cranks.

If you want to get innovative with softies then soft-plastics is where you should post. You can choose to use scientific jargon to explain an action or simply describe the action in visual terms, both are acceptable and constructive. I am an engineer and so I think in engineering terms. You can ask me to explain by post or message, I do not mind at all. I think there is a lot of room for more innovation in softies.

Dave

Look I have seen you complain about lack of interests in your posts in the past. I get you enjoy cutting up plastics and splicing them together. You may find it innovating/exciting and that is all that should really matter to your venture 

Personally I don’t see the wow in it. I don’t see any new skills to be developed. I don’t see it as creating something new or developing a new action/style of lure. 

I see it is no more then basic modifications of existing lures not developing or building a lure

This is why I don’t give a lot of interest and likely why others are not jumping all over your posts. Show me something you      created and developed on your own vs hacking up baits and Frankensteining together then you will get my attention 

I am only being honest and if you enjoy what you are doing keep at it. It’s your hobby that should be about your personal satisfaction 

As for lack of posts on this forum I would say it is more to do with the rules regarding showing off one’s end product outside of the gallery more than anything. This rule has caused possible members to post elsewhere that is less restrictive 

Great forum for gaining knowledge but lacks the ability to create a long lasting community largely do to the rules regarding posting pics displaying finished lures

• Confused 1

No lures allowed?!!!! What the?!! I would think it just the opposite considering most government agencies have no clue the effectiveness of lures over protein baits - live or preserved.

Soft plastics will be the only forum I'll post in unless the topic type goes elsewhere.

What's keeping you in Indonesia?

1 hour ago, SpoonMinnow said:

What's keeping you in Indonesia?

I am retired and cannot afford to live in UK, and the medical insurance would kill me in USA. Rent and food is very cheap here in Indonesia, the people are friendly and it is always summer.

I am face blind (prosopagnosia) and here, I do not have to speak beyond 'hello' as I only speak enough of the language to get by, no conversations. For me, this is a perfect world.

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vodkaman said:

(prosopagnosia

Wow, I have the same condition when it comes to people I don't like!  - "you are - who?..."

No doubt insurance and other expenses are high in most English speaking countries. If it wasn't for my and my wife's retirement and benefits, I don't believe we could afford to live in N.Y.

Too bad the weather sucks for five months forcing me to make lures in the basement. Good thing pot was legalized. Just kidding.

Edited by SpoonMinnow
  • Like 1

Look I have seen you complain about lack of interests in your posts in the past. I get you enjoy cutting up plastics and splicing them together. You may find it innovating/exciting and that is all that should really matter to your venture 

Personally I don’t see the wow in it. I don’t see any new skills to be developed. I don’t see it as creating something new or developing a new action/style of lure. 

I see it is no more then basic modifications of existing lures not developing or building a lure

This is why I don’t give a lot of interest and likely why others are not jumping all over your posts. Show me something you      created and developed on your own vs hacking up baits and Frankensteining together then you will get my attention 

I am only being honest and if you enjoy what you are doing keep at it. It’s your hobby that should be about your personal satisfaction 

Sad that those that lack imagination cast aspersions on those that do have it, having little else to offer. Incredible is the simple fact that many Frankenstein soft plastics do far better than what you pay for and are the ultimate in finesse design. In fact, some shapes/actions have been borrowed from existing conventional lures , many of which are uniquely different and do very well for many fish species.

My obsession with new designs reflects on a few things:

1. Good lure action-profiles + size can make all the difference when it comes to sizes of fish caught and quality within the number. 

2. Hard or soft plastic lure design in general can be categorized by how lures move when retrieved. Crankbaits are different than spinnerbaits; bass jigs and trailer display motions different tha both. So, when to comes to soft plastics, the concept of categories applies based on shape and action.

Again, it's difficult to explain to anyone lacking an imagination or an open mind the subtle differences in design - like for any lure type - that make a lure superior and more strike-provocative.

Good thing Dave posts relative comments that encourage the sharing of ideas unlike others that have little to offer.

• Thanks 1