walkercope

Brush Tails

I think The engineered angler has a really good technique.  He takes an old paint brush spreads it out covers both sides with masking take, cuts it to shape then glues it in.  I plan on experimenting with these types of tails soon and that’s what I am going to follow.

Edited by Flaswimbaiter
  • Like 2

It's been awhile but I used JRHopkins method.  Once you fan out the brush fibers, I applied painters tape to the fanned out portion of the fin or tail to hold it all in position then I used epoxy to glue the base together.  Let cure.  Then later epoxy the fin/tail into a slot in the lure.  Let cure.  Trim to shape.

• Like 2

I’ve messed around with bristle type tails and fins for several years and this is what I’ve come up with..

First I purchased  several cheap brushes that had white bristles from Amazon. I use white bristles because they hold color better from permanent markers.

Next you’ll need a piece of waxed paper and clear silicone. Spread a thin coat of silicone on the waxed paper.(maybe 2”x2”..depends on the size and number of tails/fins your making)

Now cut a small bunch of bristles. Try to keep the tips aligned the best you can.Now take a colored maker and color the bristles.As your coloring the bristles do your best to color them on all sides. 
 Now gently place the bristles all going one direction on the silicone you spread on the waxed paper and lightly push them into the silicone.IT IS VERY IMPORTANT YOU TRY TO ORIENT THEM IN ONE DIRECTION.

Let them set for at least a hour or so. Now apply another thin coat of silicone over the top of the bristles. Now let them completely dry before proceeding.

Now that they are dry gently peel them from the waxed paper. If you want to add additional color or colors now is the time to do it. Some silicones will except permanent marker. I have different cardboard cut outs of tails and fins I use. I lay the cut out on what was the back of the bristle/silicone piece ( it is smoother and easier to trace your cut out on this side) BESURE TO ORIENT THE TAIL OR FINS SO THE BRISTLES ARE RUNNING LONG WAYS)

Cut  your tail/fins out and shape. When your happy with the shape squeeze a small amount of silicone on your index finger and rub it with your thumb so both are covered in silicone and pull your tail through your thumb/index finger coating both sides of the tail with silicone. If you want to add a bit of glitter to the tail gently shake a bit on each side. It will stick to the wet silicone. Now set them down on the waxed paper and let dry.

With the addition of the silicone to the bristles it allows you to shape the tails a bit better and makes them much stronger tail/fin…..Nathan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1