Jason Diddle

Hybrid grass jig mold trouble shooting

16 hours ago, Jason Diddle said:

Hello, 

I just started using my Do-it hybrid grass jig mold. I’m having trouble with the 3/8 oz pouring completely. The other weights pour fine. Also it is a pain to keep the hook aligned to close the mold. I think I will add or modify my mold before next pour. Any suggestions???

I spray my molds with liquid graphite. Prior to pouring I dust the cavities with talcum powder and blow off excess. After several pours I re-dust. Also make sure you mold and hook are hot. 

• Like 1

Until you get the graphite spray there are some things you can do. The first is temperature, that mold needs to be pretty hot so make sure you heat it up. The next thing is the lead itself needs to be really hot.

If you are using a LEE pot look at the number you are melting he lead on. If you are using 6 then bump it up to 7, if you are on 7 then bump it up to 8. Once the lead and mold are good and hot then pour 5 or 6 blanks without a hook, this will get that cavity nice and hot.

After you pour your blanks place the hook in and close the mold. Put the pour spout right in the gate and then pour. This is what I do and the last time I used the mold I poured 30 3/8oz heads. Out of that 30 I only had 2 incomplete pours. 

As the other guys have said before, the Drop out spray will help a lot. You could try smoking the mold as well but the spray has always worked better for me.