Jason Diddle

Owner hooks Zo wire

So, if you haven’t caught on, I’m a tinkerer, DIY guy, that likes to think outside of the Box that is always trying to figure out ways to make things better, more efficient, and continue to learn new things. 
    My post/question for the day is….

Has anyone used one of Owner Zo-wire hooks in a jig mold????? I’m curious if it would work or if the bend in the shank is too short for a weedgard. Specifically in the hybrid grass jig mold.  Any thoughts? 

I've used the Owner 5648 Zo-wire hooks in a 3/0 with success in a few molds including the new Hybrid Grass jig mold.  The Hybrid Grass jig mold required me to Dremel out the hook post because the eye of the hook is too small.  I've also used the Owner 4303 Jungle flipping hook in the Trokar pro swim jig mold and it worked fine. Again, I've only used the 3/0 and 4/0 is those hooks but they seem to work fine.

14 hours ago, mark poulson said:

Just a dumb question from someone who fishes jig a lot, but doesn't pour them.

With all the great hooks already on the market, is that Zo hook enough better to bother altering a jig mold to make it work?

I don't know if the wire actually makes a big difference. What I like is the hook size and gap. They have a shorter shank and a big gap. The 3/0 has a hook gap of a 5/0 but the hook is just slightly longer than a regular 2/0. So I end up with a compact jig that has the hooking power of one much larger. 

• Thanks 1

So I tried a 4/0 in the 3/8. The thing that intrigued me and made me want to try it was the wider gap. I was able to get the 4/0 to fit and work without altering my mold. However, even with getting the mold really hot, using dropout, and a good Lee production pot. I couldn’t get it to pour 100 percent. The top of the shank behind the head but before the first keeper barb is too close to the mold. So a small space on the hook is bare. That hook is very sharp and slick and I just wanted to try it. LOL! I had a thought and just had to know if it would work. They cost a good bit. And yes, I have all kinds of brand hooks that fit the mold perfect. This idea popped in my head and I had to know if it worked. 

On 11/1/2022 at 6:10 AM, smalljaw said:

I don't know if the wire actually makes a big difference. What I like is the hook size and gap. They have a shorter shank and a big gap. The 3/0 has a hook gap of a 5/0 but the hook is just slightly longer than a regular 2/0. So I end up with a compact jig that has the hooking power of one much larger. 

Hey,

How did the 3/0 work for you in the 3/8???? Can you still get a decent jig trailer on it?

How did the 3/0 work for you in the 3/8???? Can you still get a decent jig trailer on it?

Also did the mold fully pour for you with the 3/0

On 10/31/2022 at 3:34 PM, mark poulson said:

Just a dumb question from someone who fishes jig a lot, but doesn't pour them.

With all the great hooks already on the market, is that Zo hook enough better to bother altering a jig mold to make it work?

Real answer is…

Because I think I can. LOL!

I just had to know. Kind of a curiosity killed the cat kinda thing. 

• Like 1

Hey, I seen your New video on the Grass jig. It looked like you were able to get a full good pour on yours. The ones I’ve done are not 100 percent full but are full enough for me to tie and be happy with. Did you do anything different other than filing down the post some?

16 hours ago, Jason Diddle said:

Hey, I seen your New video on the Grass jig. It looked like you were able to get a full good pour on yours. The ones I’ve done are not 100 percent full but are full enough for me to tie and be happy with. Did you do anything different other than filing down the post some?

I only filed the post down, nothing else. I found something intriguing about that jig. If you go up a hook size it throws the balance of the jig out of whack. It will stand perfectly with a 3/0 hook in the 3/8oz. When I use a 4/0 it wants to fall backward rather than stand. So if you go with that hook, use the 4/0 in the 1/2oz and see what happens.

On 1/11/2023 at 6:48 AM, smalljaw said:

I only filed the post down, nothing else. I found something intriguing about that jig. If you go up a hook size it throws the balance of the jig out of whack. It will stand perfectly with a 3/0 hook in the 3/8oz. When I use a 4/0 it wants to fall backward rather than stand. So if you go with that hook, use the 4/0 in the 1/2oz and see what happens.

I poured the 3/0 in 3/8 and the 4/0 in the both in the owner zo wire flipping hook back when I posted the question. I just had to know if it would work. I knew the hook gap was wider. I had a couple that didn’t 100 percent fill the mold at the collar area but for my use I could still tie and use them. They filled about 95 percent. I’m going to play with trying to heat the hooks a little my next pour along with all the other tricks and see if it makes a difference.

If you guys need/want I actually have a set of these I can try in molds to see if they will fit.  I can't promise they will fit and I do not have them to sell but I can check for fit.  If you want/need to know just drop us an email with the mold number and I will check.  The sizes I have are 3/0, 4/0, & 5/0.

JB

• Like 2