Flaswimbaiter

Magnets

I have one swim bait that uses a small disc shaped magnet to hold the treble hook up against the belly of the bait to reduce the amount of shallow weeds it will pick up by the hanging treble hook.  The hook it still secured to the bait by normal hook holders but the hook trails back and the shank is held against the body of the bait with the magnet.

Another method I have seen employed is to cut a groove in the bait and glue a short length of clear flexible plastic tubing in the groove.  Slice thru the exposed side of the tubing and push the shank of the hook into the plastic tubing.  It is quite secure but will certainly pull free by a fish.  This could easily be employed on top of a bait.  With this type hook holder, you can tie the hook with braid and connect it to a hook hangar or even the line tie of the bait.

Everyone I have spoken with say the magnet thing turns into a giant PITA and seems to be more trouble than it's worth and no one stuck with them. . For a top hook I would agree with Barry about the groove or slot with some tubing to tighten the fit. You can follow what Roman Made did with the Negotiator Custom. The one in the pics has a homemade harness, OG's come with an assist line harness with tubing around the assist line and the line tie part of the hook to ensure a tight fight in the slot for the whole harness.

101_2436.JPG

101_2433.JPG

• Like 1

In the past I made a series of weedless hard frogs using small disc magnets.

I painted them with Createx water based paints, and top coated them with Solarez UV resin.

I found I had to top coat them to keep them from rusting.

I got the magnets here:

https://www.apexmagnets.com/?utm_source=remarkety&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=October_Promo_1_2022&utm_content=&_rmId=2nv693l2wgfYoe225DPVInron1r1P3cBxGKENDKG

• Like 1

On 10/31/2022 at 8:45 AM, Arne said:

Just stumbled across this.  Are you just going to use the magnet to hold the hook on?  To me can't believe the hook would stay on.  Need a little bit more info.  Thanks, Arne.

I plan on making a slot for the hook, the magnet will just keep it in place while casting.

17 hours ago, mark poulson said:

In the past I made a series of weedless hard frogs using small disc magnets.

I painted them with Createx water based paints, and top coated them with Solarez UV resin.

I found I had to top coat them to keep them from rusting.

I got the magnets here:

https://www.apexmagnets.com/?utm_source=remarkety&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=October_Promo_1_2022&utm_content=&_rmId=2nv693l2wgfYoe225DPVInron1r1P3cBxGKENDKG

My plan is similar to this, but different, thanks for the link. 

• Like 1

Very nice.  I like the upright hook rigged from the top the best.  The downward hook looks like it would come free then hang up but I guess that wasn't the case since it's one of your favorites.  Both are easily the best application of magnets per this thread but also fascinating is your application of concave and convex bills/bibs.  Are you heating and shaping these yourself?

• Like 1

There should be a tutorial on heating/bending polycarbonate bibs etc on here somewhere (if you can bear reading it):rolleyes:.

It was posted about, must be 10 years back. pete

Here it is:   Just click on the bold "Lip Former PDF" 

Edited by hazmail
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1