william cohen

Best type of fishing line for inline spinners

Been looking thru the internet, getting opinions on which is the better line to use for casting inline spinners. Braid or mono. What is your opinion? Probably braid for distance? I read that braid is heavier than mono when wet and was not the top choice if you wanted spinners to work at shallow levels?  Choice for feeling vibration and how the spinner is working?  Thanks

Your mileage may vary, but for me I prefer mono for moving baits (even more so if it has treble hooks). Feel is not a priority for me when fishing a spinner. Since braid has no stretch, it does not absorb the shock of a fish hitting a moving bait as well as mono. To me, no stretch means it's easier to pull the treble hooks out of the fish's mouth during the fight.

Also, I find it much simpler using straight mono or copolymer line than using braid with a leader. Not sure if you were considering a leader with braid or not, but thought I'd bring that point up since braid with a leader is a common setup.

Just my two cents :).

I've been using braid with a 6'-8' section of lighter test mono or flouo tied to the end as a "bumper" or leader.  This allows for easy cutting and tying on of new terminal tackle and if I get hung up will break before the braid preventing braid from being deposited in our waters.  Works well, but depending on type of water/species, full on mono works well.  

I like braid but hate tying mono or flouro leaders on all the time.  Maybe I'm lazy, but if I wanted to spend all my time tying that many knots, I would start fly fishing again!  I switched back to mono because of this for years and was happy as can be and didn't lose fish.  This year I tried the co-polymer lines and am even happier.  I Have used YoZuri and love it!  I have also used Berkley Fluoro Sheild and really love that!  Next season I will also try McCoy.

When I used braid at first, I tied directly to the lure.  I caught a hell of a lot fish.  At some point in time from what I read and was told, you absolutely had to have a leader.  For some reason I had a sheep mentality and did what I was told.....

I have a friend who still to this day ties braid directly to his lures and catches a lot of fish.  He says the guys that think they need leaders can pay him for fishing lessons!

• Haha 1

I also am a co-poly fan for moving baits. Yozuri Hybrid is probably my favorite. Pline Fluoro Clear is also good.

If I am in pike/musky waters, I almost always go with Berkley Trilene Big Game on moving baits. It has some of the best shock absorption when a big fish hits a moving bait. Plus, it is very affordable allowing for more frequent re-spooling. I tie a 9-12" leader with AFW 7x7 Coated Surflon in Camo color.  Pike have a nasty habit of inhaling #4 and 5 spinners. I have had two reels damaged on strikes by pike when throwing an inline on braid, one a broken gear tooth and the other broke the end off the line pawl.

My suggestion is you have to figure it out for yourself, We don't fish your waters or baits... I think it would be easier to pick you a wife. Personally my trick is also co-poly but it fits my style and baits .... for me you can't beat P-Line original.

Also there are many tricks to keeping the line memory to a minimum that take just a second or 2.

That is where time and effort on your waters/baits with your style, put in the time for yourself and it will pay off better than anything anyone can tell you.

my 2 cents.

don't forget the rod in this equation. i think a mono rod and a braid rod are different things (actions). and the weight of the spinner is a factor for casting (power). So if you have a rod you want to use, that might be your deciding factor. If you have a super fast action or too heavy power, braid might not be the best, if you have a super parabolic, mono might not be the best.

maybe my musky background, but i'm going braid for an inline spinner. wire or flouro for a leader. pre-make leaders and tying them on while fishing is indifferent to tying anything on. i live in pike county and braid direct is a cut off nightmare in the making. 

im adjusting for depth with spinner design and speed. colorado shallower, indiana, french, willow as need for depth increases. and combinations of those.

in the end i'd just experiment a bit and see what you like. in my experience its a bit of to each their own

• Thanks 1