Peshtigost

Spraying Powder Paint on Blades

Hello,

I am looking to powder paint inline blades with the spray gun setup from TJ's Tackle.  I want to spray inline type blades all black.  After the black I want to add dots to the blade, say 3-5 contrasting dots (yellow for example).  I know I am not going to spray these with powder paint because you can't put a template on a heated blade without the template sticking to the previous coat.  What I want to do is get an eye dotter and some sort of paint to dot on.  Let this dry, reheat, spray with a clear powder paint, and cure in the toaster oven.  My question is, what paint can take the heat of reheating for the clear coat and baking in the oven?

I have airbeds and have done tons of jigs in powder paint.  I am worried if I dip the blades, they will get too heavy.  Also there will be drips when curing on some of them.  Spraying powder paint puts a light coat on that doesn't run when curing.

I know how they do it at Mepps.  They spray lacquer paint, both color and clear coat, and then pad print the dots.  Too expensive of an option for me, plus the whole dealing with lacquer fumes.

Anybody have ideas???

I do not spray powder on blades, so I can't give you input on that process. There is a guy on here called "smalljaw" he is an expert at spraying powder paint and he may chime in. Anyway, just a couple of questions. Are you spraying both sides of the blade? Whether you are or not, you can still heat the blade and apply the powder paint on the blade with the brush tap method if you want to try that. I do that and the blades come out really nice. You can then put the blade in a horizontal position in a toaster over to bake. I would then put the dots on whether with paint and then powder clearcoat and bake or  another option for dots is to use a hole punch and you can use colored electrical tape. Once you punch out the dots you can stick them on your blades and then clearcoat with Devcon 2 ton which is a more durable clearcoat. There are a lot of options and I'm sure others will chime in.

I am spraying both sides.  I would hang the blade vertical on a wire through the spinner hole, heat as needed (probably more than once) using a heat gun and spray both sides.  I have t0o many blades to do using the brush tap method, and by doing both sides at once I need the blade vertical.  Once the blade cools, the plan would be to put the dots on with some sort of paint, reheat and spray clear coat, and then bake to cure.  My concern is what paint to use for the dots that can take the reheating for the clear coat and baking.

The Devcon solution leaves me having to rotate the blades while the epoxy drys to keep the coat even.  I am also concerned about the extra added weight of the epoxy. 

Edited by Peshtigost

I'd use Quick Coat lure markers for the dots. The reason is because you can put the dots on and cure the blades and the dots will bake in just like the powder paint. 

The problem is there are only a few basic colors and they might not show up on black. You can add a white spot and then color over that but it is a two step process. TJ's used to have a video in which he was doing spoon blanks with a template he made out of the same spoon blank. 

He made feet out of thin wire like a paper clip and glued or soldered them to the bottom. He did the main color and then added dots with the brush tap method Cadman uses. That would work if you wanted to take the time and create a template by drilling holes in a blade and adding feet to keep it close but not touching the blade you need to paint.

• Like 1

Thanks smalljaw, I did see that video at TJ's.  I could have them done at Worth, but for painted blades there is a 200 blade minimum.  I will check on the Quick Coat lure markers.  Otherwise I will have to make a template and tap the color on.  Either way light colors over the black is probably going to be a two step process.

• Like 1

There is another way, but it requires a steady hand and good nerves...LOL!!! Find the size straw with the diameter of the dots you want to make. About an inch or two up the straw make a kink and then wrap some masking tape around the kink to keep it closed. 

Once you have the straw ready push it into a jar of the powder paint you wish to use. Push it until the section of the straw is packed with powder and I mean packed!!! Now you have a paint dot, it will work but you only get a few dots before having to repack the straw again.

• Like 1

How about trying a 'High Heat' , 'Engine' or 'Caliper' paint from Rustoleum, Krylon, Duplicolor, VHT, Por-15, KBS Motor Coater?  

It comes in rattle cans and liquid cans in a variety of colors including white. You can find the temp tolerances in the descriptions and the tolerances are usually quite high.

Edited by JD_mudbug
  • Like 1