Big Epp

If all the airbrushed in the world suddenly got sucked into a wormhole...

Well, havn't touched the airbrush since spring when I started fishing.  Only started with the airbrushing late winter last year.  When I pick it up again shortly might be able to tell you.  Hope I can make the thing work again. LOL, Arne.

• Like 1

A combination of rattlecans, hand painting, and Sharpies. You can accomplish quite a bit with those and stencils, netting, 1/8" to 1/2" masking tape. I still use rattle cans for primer and base layers especially on large baits.

For some small details and touch ups, I have done a quick rattle can spray into a plastic cup to make a little pool of spray paint. Then, I use a small paint brush from Walmart to hand paint with the paint from a spray can. (30 for $2 in the crafts section). This can come in handy when you get a blemish from removing tape, a bug landing on wet spray paint, or if you drop a bait mid paint job and only get a couple of paint chips. Sometimes a screw up is savable with out starting over.

• Like 3

Lots of great ideas! It's interesting to think back to the beginning.

I've been reading books on carving and paintings birds (decoys, decorative, etc) and came across an interesting technique for working with acrylics. Basically, you dilute the paint to the consistency of milk and then apply it in multiple, thin washes. It sounds very similar layering paint within an airbrush. I'm going to try it out and see how it goes.

On 11/11/2022 at 10:38 AM, JD_mudbug said:

A combination of rattlecans, hand painting, and Sharpies. You can accomplish quite a bit with those and stencils, netting, 1/8" to 1/2" masking tape. I still use rattle cans for primer and base layers especially on large baits.

For some small details and touch ups, I have done a quick rattle can spray into a plastic cup to make a little pool of spray paint. Then, I use a small paint brush from Walmart to hand paint with the paint from a spray can. (30 for $2 in the crafts section). This can come in handy when you get a blemish from removing tape, a bug landing on wet spray paint, or if you drop a bait mid paint job and only get a couple of paint chips. Sometimes a screw up is savable with out starting over.

Sharpies, if used correctly, can be very effective. I have used them for small detail On some baits and it’s you can’t even tell. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Travis said:

As mentioned several ways of making do and in the right hands all will give excellent results.  Now the issue is developing the skill set to do it well and not have it coming off like a 4 year old finger painted it.

I think that's a pretty big key to it!  I tried the "paint wash" method, and it is definitely something I'd need to practice a lot to get any good at.  Brush painting is quite a bit different that airbrush painting!

Part of the idea behind the post in the first place is the idea of being highly mobile.  I've been reading about families who "roadschool," in which they travel around the country in an RV, converted school bus, or camper.  Generally this is a couple year journey, and they get to take their kids all over the country and see all sorts of things, emphasis put on first hand experiences instead of textbook knowledge.  One dynamic of this includes limited storage space... I would't be able to bring my whole shop, so I've been "what if-ing" my way through the process, what tools would I bring, what type of lures would I make, would I just take a break (probably not!), how would I simplify the whole process as much as possible.  

One bonus of this idea is my kids and I could catch fish in all 48 continental states and maybe some provinces in Canada too!  Oh the possibilities...

• Like 1

Might get in trouble for going nude, depending on the campground at least!

That was my thought as well for colors, solid base colors, especially white and black, with a few accent colors like red, blue, and silver (maybe some green too).

I'll have to try the hydro dip thing. it sound interesting!

• Like 1

I guess I don't see you saving a lot of space.  If you are taking paints and such to do washes or hand paint etc.. an airbrush takes up very little space. 

The compressor is the only real space eater and several pint size offerings that will do just fine.  I have on I picked up for kicks on clearance years ago.   I would rather save time painting a lure to enjoy other stuff later than messing around personally.

I think I could easily get everything I needed into a small plastic tool box (compressor, brush, paints, coping saw, knives, dremel, sand paper, glue, paint, wire for line ties, etc..

• Like 2

On 11/25/2022 at 12:17 AM, Norwegian said:

t probably takes a bit more time than the airbrush but I like the look

I get that! I bet we could do some really good work, it's just a matter of time and priorities. 

The small crank is the lure I tried the wash technique on, and the bass is a 7" glide bait I made a couple years ago and is all hand painted.

20221126_202300.jpg

20221126_202340.jpg

20221126_202436.jpg

• Like 4