Tiderunner

Ripper Type Swimbait

Anybody know of a manufacturer that makes a mold like the Do It ES Ripper? Closely resembles Keitech swim baits. It looks as though Do It has a CNC mold, but it has side injection which won't work if laminating. Fat Guys has what I'm looking for in an 8 cavity but the price breaks my budget. At their price I could just buy a bunch of Keitechs, but not much fun in that. Just got the Angling AI Rip Rap and now want a ringed type as well.

3.5", 3.75", or 3.8"preferred.

Any help would be appreciated.

22 hours ago, basskat said:

Bait Mold had a 3.8", five cavity, individual top ports on sale last week for $71.00

I missed that sale price. and the non sale price is about $50.00 less than FGF.  Is the shipping from Ukraine dependable now? I am starting to lean towards the FGF mold, but it will have to wait until after the holidays. But 50 bucks is fifty bucks. If I don't have to wait too long for the bait mold one.

the fat guys fishing mold is awesome, i have the 3.5" rip shad and it shoots great and catches fish, they also have it in 4 and 8 cavity molds with the 4 cavity being around $140. its getting replaced in my mold lineup in favor of the 603 from BTS (another keitech style, with a top hook slot). FGF is having a great black friday sale all weekend with bigget sales at specific times on Friday and Monday (check their website for specific times). with the sale the 3.5" rip shad 8 cavity mold would come in around 150

Thanks for that info! I just picked up an Angling AI in 3.75 shiner. No rings. And I really like the FGF 3.75 which reminds me of the Keitech fat impact. I wish it was offered in a 4 cavity like their 3.5 or 4"  I do have a 9oz injector, and saving now for a dual injector. I think the 6oz dual, and my 9oz single might be or should be enough to fill 8 cavities

I may go ahead with the 4 inch, if I'm up early enough for the best sale price.

On 11/24/2022 at 7:09 PM, Tiderunner said:

Thanks for that info! I just picked up an Angling AI in 3.75 shiner. No rings. And I really like the FGF 3.75 which reminds me of the Keitech fat impact. I wish it was offered in a 4 cavity like their 3.5 or 4"  I do have a 9oz injector, and saving now for a dual injector. I think the 6oz dual, and my 9oz single might be or should be enough to fill 8 cavities

I may go ahead with the 4 inch, if I'm up early enough for the best sale price.

yeah a 9oz single or 6oz dual is plenty to fill 8 cavities, i can do 10 3.8" BA shads, 4 3.75" hammers, 8 3.5" rip shads and probably have some plastic left from a 6oz dual.

• Like 1

I have been playing with my AI mold, and I really like the way it shoots. I do a lot of laminates on my other baits either with commercial laminate plates, or plates I make out of aluminum flashing. These won't work though with the swimbaits. So a dual injector is next on my wish list. I've been doing this bait making thing for around 30 years and can't believe I haven't bought one yet. Last season was my first using swim baits, and I am sold on them.

What plastic have you been using for your swim baits? Like I said I've been playing, but with remelts, and I feel the soft MF may be too soft.

14 hours ago, Tiderunner said:

What plastic have you been using for your swim baits? Like I said I've been playing, but with remelts, and I feel the soft MF may be too soft.

If you're using MF super soft, my guess is it's way too soft for a swimbait.  Seems to me most of the swimbaits I use are made with regular or even the tougher plastics. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, alsworms said:

If you're using MF super soft, my guess is it's way too soft for a swimbait.  Seems to me most of the swimbaits I use are made with regular or even the tougher plastics. 

for most of my baits I use MF soft. Tried other brands, and I keep going back to MF. I use medium as well, and I think when I get back into production after the holidays, I will use medium, which I use for some things. I can always add softener.

Making single and double tail grubs, I found using soft sinking, the tails don't have any action. I'm thinking the same will happen with swim baits.  Can't test them now. Too cold, and I doubt if lifeguards at the local YMCA would be happy if I tested my baits at the pool.  So guess I'll be testing tail action in the bathtub. And for any pervs that read this I meant swim bait tail action.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Tiderunner said:

And for any pervs that read this I meant swim bait tail action.

Very entertaining post. I have used swimming pools a few times. You would be surprised how accommodating the pool boss can be if you ask. It is such an outlandish request, it will give him something to talk about next time at the bar with his mates.

Dave

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Vodkaman said:

Very entertaining post. I have used swimming pools a few times. You would be surprised how accommodating the pool boss can be if you ask. It is such an outlandish request, it will give him something to talk about next time at the bar with his mates.

Dave

As a kid, I remember the arguments my mom and dad would have when he'd test a bait in the pool. 

"They're disgusting and they have nasty oil on them.  No one wants to swim in it after that!!!"

Good times.......

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, alsworms said:

As a kid, I remember the arguments my mom and dad would have when he'd test a bait in the pool. 

"They're disgusting and they have nasty oil on them.  No one wants to swim in it after that!!!"

Good times.......

I don't have a pool, but i'll use my brother inlaws. I put the mask on and watch the bait as he drags it through the water. He can't complain either unless he never wants to be invited to go fishing with me again.

• Haha 4