cadman

Painting/Clear Coating Fishing Reels

So I have some slightly beat up baitcasting reels that I would like to air brush and clearcoat. The reels themselves including the sideplates are plastic. I have read a lot about prep before painting and so on. My big question is clearcoat. I have used in the past D2T and E-Tex for my jigs and that works fine and they both are durable. However I am thinking that these clearcoats would be too thick for a fishing reel. What would you guys use for a clearcoat. If anyone has painted reels before with good success please chime in. Also we can communicate off line if that is easier.

Thanks in Advance...........Cadman

I painted an aluminum reel using automotive primer and enamel.  It began to chip almost immediately.  You have to use very thin coatings if you want the reel to go back together.  We’re I to do it over (I would not) I’d try KBS MCU thinned and shot with an airbrush as a clearcoat.  but I do not believe there is an amateur coating regime that can be as good as a factory job so my scratched and chipped reels will have to wear their damage as a sign of good times.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BobP said:

I painted an aluminum reel using automotive primer and enamel.  It began to chip almost immediately.  You have to use very thin coatings if you want the reel to go back together.  We’re I to do it over (I would not) I’d try KBS MCU thinned and shot with an airbrush as a clearcoat.  but I do not believe there is an amateur coating regime that can be as good as a factory job so my scratched and chipped reels will have to wear their damage as a sign of good times.

Bob,

Thanks for the info. I understand the thin coats, I also had a feeling that there is no clearcoat as good as the factory coat. Out of curiosity, do you think KBS Diamond aerosol spray would work? My other thought was to go with enamel spray cans. The only problem with that is if I screw it up, will I be able to get the paint off of the side plates without damaging them? The side plates are plastic and I'm sure I would need lacquer thinner to take off the paint. With that said, the lacquer thinner may soften the plastic side plates since it is so strong.  Is KBS removable once sprayed on?

Thanks..............Cadman

55 minutes ago, mark poulson said:

I do touchup with sharpies.

Hey Mark, wouldn't that be a great idea, if the reel companies sold an after market touch-up paint like they do for cars? Wow, now there is an idea for reel manufacturers to cash in on. I am sure many guys would buy it. The only problem is all the SKU #'s they would have to keep for all the years and models.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Outlaw4 said:

i have been using the KBS aerosol spray on lots of stuff. So far its been pretty good at not flaking off and holding color. And i've had one can spraying stuff now for a while. I'd say you could do a lot worse

Thanks, I'll try the diamond clear coat spray.