Jason Diddle

Best 1/4 & 5/16 swimjig mold? In your opinion.

7 hours ago, Jason Diddle said:

Thank you for your response. I looked at that one. I really like my hybrid grass jig and the eyes on it. I was just looking around for a swimjig mold in that 1/4 size to get.

Pour your 3/8oz cavity using tin and bizmuth. It will come out lighter than 3/8oz.

Allen

• Like 2

On 11/24/2022 at 10:06 PM, mark poulson said:

Can you use a round bend hook in a poison tail jig mold???? I’ve been wondering this. Do you have to modify it much?

21 minutes ago, Jason Diddle said:

Also…… I just thought of this. If you can put a round bend in the poison tail jig mold. Will the weedgard be too far from the hook????? I’d appreciate pictures if anyone has tried this?

I do not pour lead, so I don't know what hooks will fit that mold.  I have fished them, poured by a friend, and the ones he poured had round bend hooks.  I don't know who made his mold.

The Barlow's site has a picture of the finished jig with a weed guard, and the opened jig mold.  To my eye, it looks like a round bend hook will work.  It also has a chart of which hooks will fit it.  Plus they have other 30 degree jig hooks that should work, too.

Take a look and decide for yourself.

1 hour ago, 21xdc said:

The poisontail jig has always used a 30* hook... Yes they take round bends. I use the EC 3886 BP. 

I knew it used the wide gap 30 degree hook. I just didn’t know how much of a difference it would make to use a regular 30 degree hook. I didn’t know if the weedgard would be too far from the hook or too close?

1 hour ago, Jason Diddle said:

I knew it used the wide gap 30 degree hook. I just didn’t know how much of a difference it would make to use a regular 30 degree hook. I didn’t know if the weedgard would be too far from the hook or too close?

If you add the weed guard after you pour, you can remove a few strands from it so it's thinner, and then lay it back closer to the hook point when you glue it in.

15 hours ago, Jason Diddle said:

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the help and knowledge.

Ace Hardware sells .065" dia. residential grade trimmer line that I use for weed guards.  It is basically a heavy fluoro carbon line that comes in a 5" spool, so it comes off the spool already curved, and can be installed as close to the hook point as I like.