Alpha550

Worm Nose Sinker Mold?

I recently purchased the worm nose sinker mold from Doit. I am having problems trying to pour the 1/16 oz, I dont get a complete pour. I am using a Hot Pot 2 to melt my lead and use a small ladle to pour lead. I lay the mold on the hot pot to heat the mold and I have smoked the mold as well. I have tried tilting the mold in different directions to pour it. 

Does anybody have any other suggestions that I should try? I'm thinking I might not be getting the lead in fast enough with the ladle and may have to upgrade to a bottom pour pot.

Thanks in advance!

Randy

Randy,

Welcome to TU.  I always tell everyone that pours, first buy Frankford Arsenal "Drop Out". It is a mold release spray. To use clean all your lead cavities with Mineral Spirits or Naphtha. Let dry or evaporate, then spray the cavities lightly with the mold release. A little goes a long way. Just make sure you get all the spots. Your cavities will turn a light gray color. Once its sprayed it will dry in about 5 to 10 minutes. Then heat your mold and try it out. That should solve 90% of your problems. 

You can also gap your mold a little to release any trapped air.

Going to a bottom pour pot is definitely a plus, because you can stick the pot nozzle into the cavity hole and it will be similar to injecting lead into your mold.

Some things to try.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your help! I have ordered Frankford Arsenal spray and it will arrive next week. I also ordered a Lee production IV Pot. Cadman, I will try the suggestions that you gave me when I receive  everything in the mail next week.

Basskat, when you talk about venting are you placing a piece of tape inside the mold? 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Alpha550 said:

Thank you all for your help! I have ordered Frankford Arsenal spray and it will arrive next week. I also ordered a Lee production IV Pot. Cadman, I will try the suggestions that you gave me when I receive  everything in the mail next week.

Let us know how it goes.

• Like 1

Well I received my drop out spray and sprayed it on my mold. Tried to use the ladle again to pour the 1/16 oz weight. It did not work.  I heated up my new Lee Production IV pot and tried to pour the 1/16 oz again. Long story short, it to me 50 minutes to finally figure out how to make a successful pour. I had to take the mold and make it flush with the bottom of the pot. Pours perfect every time.

Thanks again for your alls help!

• Like 1