dwtaylor

KBS Questions

Hey guys, long time lurker, new time bait painter.

Anyway, I started clear coating with KBS diamond for my top coat and found that it takes a while to harden up.  The baits are pretty tacky after one day, less tacky but still can put fingerprints in the surface after two days, borderline hard on day 3, and hard on day 4.  Any tips to speed this up?

I do not thin the KBS and I let the baits hang drip and dry on a makeshift rack out of a deep cardboard box with the top open.

I would guess the room I work in is around 63-65 degrees (basement), unknown the relative humidity.  

Do you think a room space heater to heat to mid/upper 70s and a humidifier to raise the relative humidity will help speed it up?

Thanks!

KBS is a moisture cure product, for sure; I learned a couple of years ago that it needs the humidity. I made a small rack that I transfer the baits to after they stop dripping. I take the rack and leave it in the bathroom for a couple of days where it is exposed to a few hot showers and consistent temperature.

• Like 1

This is how I deal with KBS and it works well

I have a large rubber made with a lid that I put a wire grid to hang baits on. I throw some bunched up wet paper towels in the bottom. Hang the baits, put on the lid and tape it shut. Tapeing the lid is mostly because of the smell but it does keep the moisture in. I don’t thin KBS and I brush it on with a foam brush 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flaswimbaiter said:

So KBS is a one part clear? Does it go on thinner than the two part or about the same?  Does it fish eye?

KBS is a thinner and hard clear coat. You can just hang your bait and no turning needed 

KBS can definitely have applications issues like bubbles if applied too thick. I also found that it needs to be well cured before applying another coat and the direction on the can regarding multiple coats did not work well. Storage for long periods take extra care. It is tough but I find with pike it will chip easier than epoxy. It stinks and is a harsher chemical that needs extra care

Just like all clear coats it has its learning curve and down falls 

I have use Etex, KBS, and alumilite UV they all have their quirks.

• Like 1