tdarin176

Old mold checklist

The list you are looking for probably doesn't exist, as there are a lot of molds that Do-It has made over the years. The only one who would have a list like that would be Do-It, and I don't think that they will give it to you. On another note, there are a lot of molds that have been discontinued, and only way to find them is when someone sells them on e-bay. If you know what mold you are looking for, post it on some forums and someone might have it and they may sell it to you. BTW, welcome to TU.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2023 at 6:41 AM, Rob S said:

I recently contacted Do It about an out of production mold I received asking them what the weights of sinkers were.  Replied that since it was OOP, they didn't know.  Struck me as odd.  You'd think it be somewhere in the company archives.

In my experiance Do-it  isn't very customer friendly or oriented. Since they are basically the only game in town......they don't need to be. Helpful is not a word they seem to know. 

First off may I ask why you're limiting yourself to Do-It molds?

As Cadman said the discontinued Do-It molds are hard to source and find anyway.

But Do-It probably has more competition these days than they've ever had.

A few minutes of Internet searching will reveal that they definitely aren't the only game in town.

There are so many good mold makers out there that if you're looking for something different you shouldn't have any trouble whatsoever in finding something.

I mean besides Do-It molds there's also Hilts and Little Mac molds as far as sandcast molds go.

And I also have molds from Sean at Sean Collins customs.

Victor at bug molds.

Kent at lakeside molds 

Bob at CNC molds N stuff.

And some others that I'm forgetting off hand right now.

While Do-It may be the largest mold maker out there,  there are plenty of other options for you to look at if you really want to be throwing something that the other fisherman don't have!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, agronomist_at_ia said:

In my experiance Do-it  isn't very customer friendly or oriented. Since they are basically the only game in town......they don't need to be. Helpful is not a word they seem to know. 

I don't know how long you've been pouring, but I wouldn't go out and say that Do-It isn't customer friendly. Maybe they don't keep all of there records up to date and maybe when a mold is retired there is no need to record it. Also employees come and go and in that process especially with the advent of the computer a lot of information could be lost and since they don't sell retired molds and don't plan to there is no need to hold on to that info. Not everyone keeps records like you or I. I sell jigs and I have explicit records of all the customers that I have poured for, going back to the beginning of when I started over 20 years ago. Many of the guys that bought from me in the past haven't in years, however I hold on to the records, but that's just me. I will tell you this, that any time I've had a problem with a Do-It mold, I called up Do-It and they rectified the problem.

With that said, if you have a sample of a jig that was poured by Do-It years ago and the mold is no longer made, have it custom made from one of the sources Kasilofchrisn stated. Just a quick note, if you are going to copy a Do-It mold (and sell jigs), you may want to ask them (Do-IT) permission to see if they have a problem with that. The last thing you want to do is get sued.

PS: Don't take this personally, I'm not trying to bash you, just that there are a lot of options (this day and age compared to 20 years ago) out there for you.

• Like 1

I'm not sure why anyone assumes I was looking for a mold, A discontinued mold, or looking to have one replicated. I'm not.

My comment was just that they weren't very good with customer service. Others may have different interactions with them. In the past year I've experienced having wrong molds shipped to me, orders broken up shipping wise and being charged shipping for 3 shipments instead of one. Incorrect hooks were sent. They just substituted the hooks without asking. Those type of things. In the past they were good...since covid terrible. I will say that since covid just about every company sucks at service.

I can't testify to the customer service from Do-It molds because I rarely if ever order from them.

You see I can get molds and supplies significantly cheaper by ordering from vendors that sell Do-It molds.

For instance a mold that sells for $56 at Barlow's sells for $62.50 directly from Do-It.

That's a $6.50 difference on just one item!

The reason for that is because most large companies like that make more money selling wholesale to other vendors such as Barlow's, LPO, Jann's netcraft etc.

But since they're the manufacturer technically they could undercut those vendors in price. So they purposely charge more to encourage you to buy from the vendors who sell more molds than they do.

And I can say I have gotten the best, most excellent customer service from Barlow's! Both before and after covid and that's where I order the majority of my supplies from! They have reasonable shipping rates(even to me here in Alaska) and excellent packaging as well.

Typically if I get bad customer service such as I received from Zeiner's Bass shop I just don't use those companies anymore.

So if you're looking to save some money just order your molds and supplies from Barlow's. You won't be disappointed!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, agronomist_at_ia said:

I'm not sure why anyone assumes I was looking for a mold, A discontinued mold, or looking to have one replicated. I'm not.

My comment was just that they weren't very good with customer service. Others may have different interactions with them. In the past year I've experienced having wrong molds shipped to me, orders broken up shipping wise and being charged shipping for 3 shipments instead of one. Incorrect hooks were sent. They just substituted the hooks without asking. Those type of things. In the past they were good...since covid terrible. I will say that since covid just about every company sucks at service.

Again, I'm not being judgmental or trying to be an ass. I probably mis-read your post. I will go out of my way to help almost anyone on TU. With that said, I don't order from DO-It either because I can get it a lot cheaper elsewhere. It just goes to show you that we all have our bad experiences with some company at some time. I've had phenomenal service from Zeiner's , some have not, I've had great service at Do-It you have not, I've had crappy service from Barlows in the past some have not. All I can say is if there is a problem have you brought it up with the people at the company. Many times they will make good on it and many times they just won't care. And yes, if I had so many issues that you have had with Do-It I would be P.O'd as well and I would be speaking to the owner of that company, forget all the order takers. Anyway, if you need any info on where to buy things post it over here and many will give you a lot of info on where to get things for good prices..

Edited by cadman

I've also looked for molds from yesteryear and it's most likely found on ebay or stores on ebay or other sources. I'm just a retired citizen that enjoys creating jigs etc. I'm your out of the box old school kind of guy served my country for 7 years MP sniper from the 70's just don't want a replay the moment thank you. I 'm enjoying TU  and this thread is what we need debate with tolerance no need to be ugly it's about the gain. LOVED the comments I'm here to learn and play with all these great ideas everyone contributes, if I want whining and bitching turn on the TV plenty there life is too short energy can be better used. MY APOLOGIZES guys but dang guys lets share the huge volume of knowledge everyone has time is short it shouldn't be squandered. I know my grammar and sentence structure is bad.

• Thanks 1

Here is a link to website I found that is dedicated to bass fishing history . It is updated frequently and has a section on vintage old catalog pages with color pictures and some old magazines and articles too. If you look around you'll be amazed at what you will find out.

Bass Tackle Catalogs Archives - Bass Fishing Archives (bass-archives.com)

Edited by jigmeister