RewindShot

used mold came with spots

bought this used senko mild off a facebook group and it came like this the photos he sent with his name date and time on a piece of paper in the photo didn't show this, I messaged him about it and said to use white vinegar and a toothbrush that it was likely from humidity or moisture, gonna shoot it now to see if it shoots well but any tips to get rid of these spots

20230109_170934.jpg

20230109_154202.jpg

20230109_154157.jpg

Aluminum oxidation...

Few ways to deal with it but I would start with the least aggressive.   Vinegar and a toothbrush is fine as suggested and might use a Dremel with the buffing triangle and vinegar.  

Make a paste with Borax and use the toothbrush is another option.  

Can try WD-40 and a toothbrush or some 000 steel wool.  

After getting it cleaned up I would spray down lightly with WD-40 or rub some worm oil over it.  It is likely to return more readily at this point.

2 hours ago, Travis said:

Aluminum oxidation...

Few ways to deal with it but I would start with the least aggressive.   Vinegar and a toothbrush is fine as suggested and might use a Dremel with the buffing triangle and vinegar.  

Make a paste with Borax and use the toothbrush is another option.  

Can try WD-40 and a toothbrush or some 000 steel wool.  

After getting it cleaned up I would spray down lightly with WD-40 or rub some worm oil over it.  It is likely to return more readily at this point.

I'm a bit afraid to use my dremel on it the vinegar and toothbrush didn't do very much, you said it would return more readily would it continue to oxidixe if I didn't try anything should I just send it back to him or would it be worth it to keep

If the vinegar and toothbrush didn't do much then it likely isn't just minor oxidation and will need some more aggressive cleaning.  Steel wool with some WD-40 and final polish with something like Mothers Mag and aluminum polish.   Other methods out there cream of tartar, baking soda, aluminum cleaning products, etc..  

Personally if the photos of mold were not a true reflection of what he sent and no mention of the issue was made I would send it back at his expense.  That didn't happen overnight.   

Now it isn't going to effect the baits but the seller shouldn't expect you to restore the mold to the condition it was represented as being.

1 hour ago, Travis said:

If the vinegar and toothbrush didn't do much then it likely isn't just minor oxidation and will need some more aggressive cleaning.  Steel wool with some WD-40 and final polish with something like Mothers Mag and aluminum polish.   Other methods out there cream of tartar, baking soda, aluminum cleaning products, etc..  

Personally if the photos of mold were not a true reflection of what he sent and no mention of the issue was made I would send it back at his expense.  That didn't happen overnight.   

Now it isn't going to effect the baits but the seller shouldn't expect you to restore the mold to the condition it was represented as being.

now that im looking at the photos he sent me he was definitely trying to hide it by how he had bright light on it, because it  dosnt show with light on it but you can see little bits of it in the pics so hopefully hes not gonna be hard about it, luckily i used paypal goods and services

• Like 1

You could  try some aircraft stripper to try to clean it. I did this after painting some do-it essential series molds after the paint didn't cure good. There literally was paint & aluminum laying on the ground where i rinsed them off. They molds came out shinier than when i bought them new so it will probably  work good.