Hand Crafted Angling

Resin 3D printed lure molds

So I run a YouTube channel where I make baits on my 3d printer. I have all the files for each lure I make available for free. I keep getting people asking me how to actually 3d print them. I think most of the people who watch my videos don’t know how to use one. I want to do a tutorial video on how to print molds for someone who has no knowledge on the subject. I was going to focus it on resin printers as they can produce the same quality as a cnc aluminum mold for a fraction of the price. They are also relatively stupid proof and require little setup and technical know how. I want to make sure I cover most of the questions people will have and I figured this would be a great place. I was going to go over how a resin printer works, what printer to get, how to set one up, what you can make on it, and the cost vs a cnc aluminum mold. I was also going to show off the process from a file to a physical mold. Could you guys let me know what else I should cover in the tutorial for someone who doesn’t have any knowledge  on the subject, I would greatly appreciate it. Here’s the link to all of the files in case one of are interested 

https://www.thingiverse.com/hand_crafted_angling/designs

Thank you!

• Like 2

On 1/28/2023 at 5:39 PM, Hand Crafted Angling said:

Could you guys let me know what else I should cover in the tutorial for someone who doesn’t have any knowledge  on the subject

Yes, please make a video for dummy's. If I have my files for my baits. What is the process, for dummy's to print in resin. I think it would be beneficial that if someone else did the "modeling" the very average guy could print his own molds.

Edited by IronBass

Hi,

I am doing my first baby steps with resin printed moulds. For me it will be especially interesting to see:1) how to avoid warping of the print, so that the fit perfectly.2)how to avoid dents and get the tails completely filled up.3) which is the most thin part you were able to fill.4) which was the most difficult mold you made.5)which resin you use.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Best,

Nico

• Like 2

2 hours ago, webote said:

Nice, thanks so much for the effort! Really appreciated! May I asked in the meantime about your printer settings/object orientation and slicer program? I have the same printer and I am facing serious problems to get a straight mould printed.

Sure thing! I use lechee I don’t really think that’s your issue though. I print it with on side directly on the build plate. I usually try and keep the sprew pointed straight up but I have gotten away with it facing others directions before. Siriatech has all there settings for a bunch of machines on there website. You can download it and upload it directly into whatever slicer you use. Those are the settings I have it set up with.

• Thanks 1

Thanks a lot! If you print it directly to the build plate, you have to open the screwholes later, right? How is it possible, that they don't have a elephant foot?you print them horizontal,just to be sure I understand? Are you sanding it away?They look really perfect in the video? Mine look so poor compared. 

Edited by webote