Crymdawg

Spinner Bait mold for bladed jigs

Years ago I made some Bladed Jigs using a Spinner Bait mold and attaching a short piece of wire to the eye of the hook. I would then bend the wire in a loop to accept a blade like those sold on the various fishing lure parts sites. That way I would not have to attach a Jump Ring to the wire and made the production a bit faster. I tried using a jig mold and adding the Jump ring later but I could never get the right jig eye set up and had to use TWO RINGS which GREATLY reduced the vibration. Any suggestions would be helpful. I especially don't need the PATENT OFFICE POLICE banging on my door for Patent Infringement, if you know what I mean. Thanks in advance for responses and suggestions. Any photos would be helpful.  

I think most get around Z man’s patent by using split rings. I understand they’ve written lots of cease and desist letters and are aggressive about defending their patent. If you’re going to sell, be very careful. That said, I’ve never seen Zman patent lawyers at the boat ramp. Just sayin.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Apdriver said:

I think most get around Z man’s patent by using split rings. I understand they’ve written lots of cease and desist letters and are aggressive about defending their patent. If you’re going to sell, be very careful. That said, I’ve never seen Zman patent lawyers at the boat ramp. Just sayin.

Somebody (who I consider a reliable source) told me once that the guy who owns Zman *is* a patent attorney.

I don't want to argue with Bassjiggin1955 and I'm not trying to start a fight. You said the president of Z-Man told you as long as you aren't advertising or putting them in stores you are fine. Guess what a picture on a website with an explanation that you have a business and it is word of mouth, is? If you said "advertisement" ding ding ding ding, you are a winner!!! There is a very skilled lure maker on this site who posted pictures of baits made with a direct blade to hook eye attachment on this site as well as others, can you guess what happened? If anyone from Z-Man reads this entire thread I will bet dollars to donuts you get a PM about it. As I said I'm not arguing with you as what you stated is true. However what you posted is in direct violation of what you were told. Sure, it isn't a direct advertisement but it is implied and therefore you are guilty of doing exactly what you were told not to do, just saying.

Edited by smalljaw
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, bassjiggin1955 said:

I'll be fine smalljaws I've been around a very long time building custom lures if you wish to use split ring between your blades be my guest I don't. So if the zman police see my post I'm ok with it. He got this same picture I posted here plus one other color I sent him. Again he had no problem. And he was very nice about in his explanation. I said thank you and that was it. He even ask me how I tied the skirts to get that much flare on them. I gave him and answer he thought was a very good idea. 

Do I get mad and send out letters tell people too stop making the Puffball jig that starting building back in 1985 or the Lion collar jig i started back in 1991 that answer is no I've seen 4 or 5 company's that try to build the same jigs I don't because I know I'm it. Copy go ahead do video be my guess on building them. I'm not into video you tube stuff. So you can stop with the drama. It's doesn't work with me I'm to busy for it. 

Pure ignorance.... That's all I can say. 

On 3/2/2023 at 8:41 AM, bassjiggin1955 said:

I'll be fine smalljaws I've been around a very long time building custom lures if you wish to use split ring between your blades be my guest I don't. So if the zman police see my post I'm ok with it. He got this same picture I posted here plus one other color I sent him. Again he had no problem. And he was very nice about in his explanation. I said thank you and that was it. He even ask me how I tied the skirts to get that much flare on them. I gave him and answer he thought was a very good idea. 

Do I get mad and send out letters tell people too stop making the Puffball jig that starting building back in 1985 or the Lion collar jig i started back in 1991 that answer is no I've seen 4 or 5 company's that try to build the same jigs I don't because I know I'm it. Copy go ahead do video be my guess on building them. I'm not into video you tube stuff. So you can stop with the drama. It's doesn't work with me I'm to busy for it. 

I'm guessing the difference is that your lures are not patented and The z-man lure is.

It's just like the people who sell lures without paying the IRS.

Some get away with it for years and other ones end up paying the IRS Large sums of money when one of their competitors turns them in. 

I hear you when you say you're not concerned about it but I certainly wouldn't be posting about it online. It's just not worth it to me to risk potential legal troubles that may cost you money.

People are just trying to help keep you out of trouble.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bassjiggin1955 said:

I have a business license and Resale license My accountant files taxes quarterly to IRS on my business. What trouble will I be getting into. One picture and it bring out guys like smalljaws and 21xcd guy they is a pic on this thread and they start in that's fine they have there opinion which is fine. And for smalljaws do your research before you tie the puffball jig on video. I you want to build them correctly both in round rubber and silicone I can help you with that. 

My IRS statements were just an example of how other people have gotten away with it for a while and then gotten caught.

The way you are going to get in trouble is that you have readily admitted to violating Z-Mans patent.

They specifically told you not to sell in stores and you are admittedly selling in stores.

And you have readily admitted to this on the internet.

Which means you have provided all the evidence they need to file a lawsuit against you in court if they so desired!

All they need is a screenshot of what you've already said in this thread.

It also kind of sounds to me like you are bragging about violating their patent rights and that just might upset someone with the company.

Most of the time it's just wise not to mention your activities on the internet that could get you in legal trouble.

Good luck to you!

And good fishing!

• Thanks 1

"Do I get mad and send out letters tell people too stop making the Puffball jig that starting building back in 1985 or the Lion collar jig i started back in 1991 that answer is no "

If you had gone thru the effort to get Patent on your jig designs they would already be expired by now anyway so you could send all the threatening letters you wanted telling people to stop copying your jigs but it not be legal nor enforceable.

Patents take a lot of time ,money, and maintenance fees to protect a product or design but what you're talking about with your lures versus Z-man lures is apples and oranges . Posters here are actually trying to help you but your response is to get angry and insult them . Go Figure?

Edited by jigmeister
  • Like 3