BDog Fisher

Silver Gold Finish Tarnishing

Look for advice. I have silver and gold plated spinners and spoons. They have lost the clear coat from the factory. The factory recommends using Tarn X to revive the metal. It does a great job bringing the shine back however the metal tarnishes again within a few months.

I have used KBS in the past but found the metal still tarnished under the clear coat. Go figure. I was careful about using a clean dry blade before dipping but still had tarnishing. Additionally I hate the thickness and bubbles of KBS. Someone mentioned KBS is moisture based so it will increase tarnishing the blade. Wish I knew that before spending $65 Canadian dollars for a little can. 

I also tried Everbright, a jewelry clear coat but it chips too easy and same thing, the blade still tarnishes under the clear coat.

So is there a clear coat out there that will stop this tarnishing? Or am I best just to dip in tarn x and clean before I go fishing? It would be nice to have a stock of ready to go lures. 

thanks

Brad

4 hours ago, azsouth said:

I have posted so many times about KBS.... read and understand the instructions!! otherwise you will have bad finish all the time.

Easy man just looking for alternatives to KBS. And I did read the instructions. 

Engineering Angler (You Tuber) said this so KBS might not be the best option for clear coating fine metals. I would call him a reliable source.

“Yes...Most clear coats including two part resins will react with the silver and start the oxidation. There are only a few clear coats that will protect the silver. If you visit some websites that specialize in silver you can find some protective coatings.”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BDog Fisher said:

Easy man just looking for alternatives to KBS. And I did read the instructions. 

Engineering Angler (You Tuber) said this so KBS might not be the best option for clear coating fine metals. I would call him a reliable source.

“Yes...Most clear coats including two part resins will react with the silver and start the oxidation. There are only a few clear coats that will protect the silver. If you visit some websites that specialize in silver you can find some protective coatings.”

Please post here if you find something that works.