Flaswimbaiter

KBS Clear Satin Diamond Finish Aerosol Can

I have been making more detailed baits and the Devcon is covering up all my detail. I don’t intend on actually fishing most of these “shelf” baits and if I do I will use the Devcon for durability. So I am looking for something that is waterproof and not high gloss that I can use without an air compressor, that I can spray outside then cure in my garage. I don’t have ventilation in my office. 

So, will this KBS work for what I need?

If so, can I get some feedback on how best to apply it, curing time, odor, how many coat to apply, the affects from humidity, etc.  I thought about hanging it in the garage an covering it with a sheet to keep out bugs and dust. 

if not, what would you recommend? 

I usually say stay away from Rustoleum  2X clear like the plague,  but they have a matt finish clear that I have used that looked OK.   Knowing that if it touches plastic, plastisol, vinyl  and or some silicones is can react, melt and start to make a sticky mess.  I haven't sprayed the spray can version of KBS,  but dipped and sprayed the quart stuff and it's very glossy.

• Like 3

I use the spray KBS can all the time for personal baits. You need a good number of coats to achieve the same durability as an auto clear, but it does the job and will retain your detail work.

Only downside is I have had it react to some plastics…not as often as with rustoleum clears, but it will turn soft if brought into contact with the wrong stuff. Also the KBS stinks pretty bad until it fully cures and you fish or air it out enough. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, danthefisherman said:

I use the spray KBS can all the time for personal baits. You need a good number of coats to achieve the same durability as an auto clear, but it does the job and will retain your detail work.

Only downside is I have had it react to some plastics…not as often as with rustoleum clears, but it will turn soft if brought into contact with the wrong stuff. Also the KBS stinks pretty bad until it fully cures and you fish or air it out enough. 

How long should a wait before coats and how long before submerging in water? 

and thank you very much for the info. 

Edited by Flaswimbaiter

2 hours ago, Flaswimbaiter said:

How long should a wait before coats and how long before submerging in water? 

and thank you very much for the info. 

When in doubt, follow the instructions on the can. That said, I don’t remember what’s on the can and rarely read it :P

I recoat as soon as the prior coat doesn’t look wet in the sun (maybe 5 minutes?). Then I will wait at least 24hrs before exposing the bait to water.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, my second attempt came out much better and I learned some lessons. 

Make sure your blank is sanded well. 

hold 6” away not 12”

put the coats on thick but not thick enough to run

And shake the crap out of the can before each application.

Thanks for the help guys 

1D045381-998C-4F3D-ADA9-F3EFDE584EEE.jpeg

Edited by Flaswimbaiter
  • Like 4

On 3/8/2023 at 11:17 AM, Flaswimbaiter said:

Well, my second attempt came out much better and I learned some lessons. 

Make sure your blank is sanded well. 

hold 6” away not 12”

put the coats on thick but not thick enough to run

And shake the crap out of the can before each application.

Thanks for the help guys 

1D045381-998C-4F3D-ADA9-F3EFDE584EEE.jpeg

I’m going bananas over that bait!

• Haha 2