Tiderunner

Mixing the Gallon Jug

It seems my last gallon of plastisol wasn't mixed well enough. I gently shake so I don't make too many bubbles. A method that has worked for me for some time now. I just ordered two more gallons, and before I start pouring I want to make sure it's mixed.

Suggestions?  Maybe I should just buy a 5gallon bucket and use a paint mixer. I've even been thinking of shaping a paint mixer to fit in the opening of a gallon jug.

13 minutes ago, basskat said:

Find a big mouth gallon jug that a paint mixer will fit in. When you empty the contents out you may have to cut the bottom out and scrape what's settled to the bottom in your new jug.

That idea has crossed my mind.  The size jug like ice melter comes in would work.  as long as there aren't any nooks or crannies where the resins would settle.

I'll have to check around too and see if someone sells a gallon or 2 gallon size bucket with a top.

13 hours ago, Jig Man said:

I took a clothes hanger and made me a mixer.  I put it in a cordless drill and stir it a couple of hours before I use it.

5DB09F47-599E-42CA-99F5-A8DD7575F0EE.jpeg

11 hours ago, basscatlildave said:

I put several SS nuts in it and you don't have to shake that hard. 

I did something like the coat hanger thing with leftover core shot rods I had I made a little mixer for stirring in dyes, additives, and such and used it with a infinitely adjustable dremel  Worked out well. I could probably get longer SS rods and use it like the coat hanger. Less bend and more mixing.

I also like the idea of Tossing in some SS nuts. We fish, so we always have a bunch of those around don't we?

I do have a plastic equipment supplier in my bookmarks that sells bucket w/lids 1 gal and up, and different wide mouth jugs. I was thinking of giving that a try. Small investment. Probably cost more to ship. I don't know why it seems as though this last batch of baits I made seemed like the plastisol wasn't completely mixed. Made for oily baits. Never had that before. Same supplier I guess I could have been a little more aggressive with my mixing.

Thanks for all the ideas gang. I am going to try them.

• Like 1

I found a bag of colored flat glass decorator "stones" my wife had out in the garage . I put a half dozen of ones just big enough to fit the opening of my gallon jug of plastisol for mixing before using . Works great and doesn't interact with the plastic and you can see them clearly on the bottom of the jug when mixed up .

Edited by jigmeister
  • Like 1

On 3/10/2023 at 6:42 AM, jigmeister said:

I found a bag of colored flat glass decorator "stones" my wife had out in the garage . I put a half dozen of ones just big enough to fit the opening of my gallon jug of plastisol for mixing before using . Works great and doesn't interact with the plastic and you can see them clearly on the bottom of the jug when mixed up .

Yup Mrs. Tiderunner has those around too. I'll have to work out a deal with her. Those might work same as tossing my nuts in.

Long term, I'm probably gonna order some wide mouth jugs and use a paint mixer for my drill.

• Like 1

Sometime ago I bought some junk at an auction . It had a rock tumbler base but nothing else . The base ran fine . So I transferred my plastic to a gallon glass jar . Then placed it on the tumbler . Goofed off a while, came back in about 30 minutes (probably longer than I needed) and it was mixed nicely .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, backporch pourer said:

I got a few wide mouth gallon jugs at a local restaurant. They get their salad dressing/mayo in them. 

That's a really good idea and as a pest control guy, I've had plenty of chances at those through the years and never thought of it!!  All those restaurants I've serviced I could have picked up thousands.  DOH!!

Oh and welcome to TU  :-)

• Like 1

My plan would be an external turner, operating 24/7. After the initial manual mixing, the plastisol would always be available. I haven't figured it out yet. I am thinking about the Falkirk Wheel boat lift as my inspiration.

I know, jugs of plastic are a lot heavier than lures on a turner, but I am thinking the same motor power for the drive.

You can have a laugh now :)

Dave

• Like 1