Apdriver

Bait Plastics

Have a question about Bait Plastics medium. They have two formulations. There is a 212 medium and a 242 medium/low odor/ultra clear. I like the idea of low odor and ultra clear but the 242 may not be the best plastic. Has anyone used them both and what did you think of the 242? Will it take multiple reheats in the micro and still stay clear? 

I had the same question. Talked to them about it . They told me they work and act the same. So then I asked, why would you still make the HIGH odor mix then ????  They say it's because there is to many guys that will not change what they have been using (212 ) and are used to. I still wonder about it ?  I have not tried the 242, but will the next time I buy.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys for the info. I ended up ordering a gallon of each and will be the first time to use the Baitplastics for me. I know Basskat has recommended it to me but was trying to use up what Calhoun’s I had. This year I can tell you plastisol does have a shelf life. At least the Calhoun’s.  Five years is about all you can keep it. What I had was 7 years old now and what I poured up last year out of it the baits aren’t the best. Little bit sticky now on close inspection. Tried to pour up some a couple days ago and it’s unusable now. So thanks again fellas and looking forward to using Baitplastics. I like the free shipping too. 

I always demold in 3 minutes. It was a little different at first  since i'd  been using calhouns & lureworks but after getting use to it i really like it & is all i'm using now.  It seemed a little oily to me at first but cured up excellemt in my opinion. I'm getting ready to order 5 gallons now. 

Edited by Les Young
  • Like 1

I shot some of the 242 tonight and I could tell it had less odor but other than that couldn’t tell much difference from their 212. Took multiple reheats well in the micro and was easy to work with using our small hand molds. Do these guys (Baitplastics) repackage or mix their own plastisol? Anybody know? I didn’t like their crawfish scent too much though. 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2023 at 2:34 PM, Apdriver said:

Have a question about Bait Plastics medium. They have two formulations. There is a 212 medium and a 242 medium/low odor/ultra clear. I like the idea of low odor and ultra clear but the 242 may not be the best plastic. Has anyone used them both and what did you think of the 242? Will it take multiple reheats in the micro and still stay clear? 

If you’re really concerned about staying clear through reheats, I’d consider Lurecraft plastic. It’s more expensive but you’re getting what you pay for. That stuff doesn’t yellow easily. 

• Like 1

I just got 5 gallons of bait plastics plastisol in  from ups a few days ago.  3 gallons saltwater hard 312 & 2 gallons medium 212. The 312  holds up real good for crappie lures & also  works great for making some big ribbon tail worms that my buddies use as trailers on their musky spinnerbaits. It's some good stuff. 

Edited by Les Young

On 3/9/2023 at 2:34 PM, Apdriver said:

BP 242 is my go to plastic. I've been able to reheat the plastic until I'm left with just a puck. And I do use a heat stabilizer.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bassmaster Rick said:

BP 242 is my go to plastic. I've been able to reheat the plastic until I'm left with just a puck. And I do use a heat stabilizer.

That is my experience with BP 262 also.

I had half a gallon left when I quit pouring when the Pandemic hit, and is still good.  I just poured a bunch of 5" swimbaits and Zoom craws, and all I did was stir/shake it and add heat stabilizer to each new batch.

No caking, and very little sludge in the bottom of the gallon jugs.  I did shake it every six months, or whenever I remembered.

• Like 1