martin2023

Here are some bass fishing tips

Here are some tips to help you out:

Fish during the early morning or late evening: These are typically the best times to catch bass as they are most active during these times.

Use the right bait: Different types of bait are more effective for bass fishing. Try using live bait such as worms or minnows, or lures such as spinnerbaits or jigs.

TB2zmI9dWSWBuNjSsrbXXa0mVXa_!!1734989717.jpg.6cd576a4c077de228c7764841c04c20f.jpg

Pay attention to the water temperature: Bass are cold-blooded and their activity level is affected by the water temperature. They tend to be more active in warmer water, so focus your efforts in areas with warmer water.

Casting-rod.jpg.88572a3a8d04e72b7abb513a042e5bc2.jpg

Know where to look for bass: Look for areas with cover such as weeds, logs, or rocks, as these are areas where bass like to hang out.

Vary your retrieve: Don't just reel in your bait or lure at a steady pace. Experiment with different retrieves such as a jerking motion or a slow and steady retrieve.

Practice catch and release: If you're not planning on eating the bass, release them back into the water to help maintain a healthy population for future fishing trips.
Remember, catching bass takes patience and persistence. Don't get discouraged if you don't catch anything right away. Keep trying different techniques and eventually, you'll catch that trophy bass.

tips-and-tricks-for-guadalupe-bass-21915474.jpg

Okay I'll bite......

Great info, BUT........personally, I would never use live bait when fishing for bass.  I have never had to fish to eat and bass would be the LAST species I would eat if I had to.  Therefore, it's all about the sport to me.  Kills me to see stringers of nice bass taken.  As you said, CATCH AND RELEASE!! 

Tightest of lines!

Chris

• Like 1

Kills me to see CATCH AND RELEASE SHOUTED at everyone who talks about catching bass.  

I believe in catch and release.  I personally could damaged the quality of a small fishery or small areas of a larger fishery if I kept every fish I caught every time I went fishing.  So could a lot of other middle of the pack anglers like myself.  A top angler could devastate an area.  I believe catch and release (lower case not shouted) is a good management practice for anglers who fish all the time for sport, but I believe my state agency does a good job of setting regulations and managing the resource for everybody.  Not just tournament anglers and trophy hunters.   If others live in states where their state agency doesn't do a good job of management for ALL anglers then perhaps they should attend a meeting or two or three or all of them and let their voice be heard.  Help the agency reach a better compromise for all of their stake holders.  

BACK ON TOPIC:  Here is a bass fishing tip.  If you are struggling try going smaller.  You usually catch more fish with smaller baits.  I am aware there is a crowd that will scream BIG BAIT BIG FISH at the top of their lungs, and they are not 100% wrong, but the why of it is a little more complex than a school yard bully over shouting everybody else with a repetitive mantra in the playground.  Most times its more fun to go fishing than to go to work.  Well for most of us anyway.  Its also more fun to catch fish than to not catch fish.  Even a dink is better than nothing.  

Here is a mantra folks can shout in the school yard.  Fishing beats not fishing, and catching beats not catching.  

Small bait doesn't necessarily mean small fish.  I've caught plenty of 2-4 lb bass on my tiny little 1.5 inch curly tail grubs while fishing for pan fish, and 1 almost 7.5 lbs.  I've caught a lot of fish on bigger poppers, but I've won tournaments on smaller ones.  I've got a buddy who favors my 5 inch Club-O and it certainly catches fish.  I caught one about five pounds on one out fun fishing with a buddy just a couple days ago, but I've caught more fish and won tournaments on the shorter thinner 4 inch.  One day out with my son just a few weeks ago the 3 inch Club-O was whacking them under a lock, while the 4 inch wasn't even getting bit.  

Don't get me wrong.  I've had my hat handed to me many times by guys who SCREAM BIG BAIT BIG FISH, but when I just want to have some fun and I'm not catching I'll usually downsize.  

FYI:  The bias against live bait was started and perpetuated about money.  In the early days of BASS lure makers didn't want to have to compete with live bait.  They could not sell a Whoopsie Dooddle for 3 dollars if local shiner fisherman whooped them or if a 59¢ tub of worms took the day.  I think its silly at best.  My first season fishing YVRGC, which has always allowed live bait and from what I can tell always will, I won half their bass derbies with artificials against guys fishing livebait, and I would have had angler of the year if I had fished their non bass derbies.  I still finished second for the year and only by a couple points.  

The bias against livebait has been perpetuated for many reasons, but the root cause was all about the money.  

YVRGC was established in 1938 if I recall correctly.  

Edited by CNC Molds N Stuff

After discovering lures decades ago, live bait has zero appeal for many reasons most of you know. Mainly: covering more water. Live bait sits in one location while the angler hopes fish will come to it. Give me any lure I can work whether slower or faster and I will hit spots in ways live bait can't.

When it comes to state regs meant to conserve the resource, in NY the dept. that makes and supposedly enforces the rules, falls far short when it comes to protecting the resource. Even some of the catch limits make no sense for many reasons including those not based on science or fish populations in individual waters.

Edited by SpoonMinnow