Zbowe

Swimbait priming, painting, finishing

Hey all,

does anyone have some tips or simply a process map outlined already that they use for priming, painting, and finishing their hard swim baits. I’m primarily making mine out of cast urethane resin. I’m a complete beginner to all this so forgive the ignorant questions. I’ve been practicing with my airbrush but have significant concern on screwing up on my final bait I’ve spent so much time on.

So…here iam leaning on the experts.

1. do you always prime your paint jobs? If so, what primer do you use? 
2. I assume you sand your primer coat very gentle before applying paint. I am using createx acrylic paint, are there any other really good airbrush paints someone can recommend?
3. do you heat treat every round you layer on your paint or simply before you clear coat it? 
4. what type of waterproof sealer are you using? How many coats/layers?

id appreciate any suggestions or help that can be offered. Please feel free to offer quick comments or go as detailed as you’d like, I’ve got a ton to learn  

I primarily use wood but...

1. depends on. some wood ill prime if i want to fill in imperfections. but if I have details then i dont

2. depends on. some primer yes. i use a lot of clear bases then no.

3. depends on. what you are trying to accomplish with paint. best to let sit 24 hrs before clearcoat or so

4. depends on. big stuff i epoxy coat and turn. lots of small stuff i spray clear. KBS or UVLS high gloss.

there are very few absolutes. less is more most but not all the time.

I always use primer and it’s one I get from Home Depot a basic light primer.

I don’t sand my primer I just start applying paint and I use the same as you. I think it works great.

I normally only heat treat if the paint is really watered down or if it’s wet and I need to apply the next coat or color. It may also depend on the brand, i know most guys do In between  all coats.

If you are referring to the Resin coating as the waterproofing that’s a loaded question and can get your many different answers. I use Devcon and KBS.

good subject and question, I hope to learn something too.

Edited by Flaswimbaiter