Kasilofchrisn

Earie Dearie spinner questions?

So I just got lucky and was able to find and purchase an Earie Dearie spinner mold in the smaller sizes. Now I just need to find the mold with the larger sizes (or have one made) but, that's not a priority right now.

That being said I now need to be sure I have all the other components. I do have a Hagens wire former as well as a Twistech and a Twistech magnum for forming the wire eyes.

And I'm going to order the wires from Barlow's to be sure I have plenty of them.

I did notice when looking at authentic Earie Dearie lures they run a second wire about as long as the first wire in front of the spinner via a loop to loop connection. What is he purpose of this extra wire and is it really neccesary?

Also it appears they used a French blade on these spinners. What size blades to you guys recommend for the 1/4 and for the 5/8 sizes? I have a bunch of all the blade sizes but was thinking of ordering a few extra just for this project.

Any insight on making these would be helpful.

Thanks for any input you might have on making these spinners!

this is from memory...and that's shakey at times so take that into account lol

lure was made famous on large charter boats that would take groups out and customers would cast out around the boat trying to catch walleye. its a great bait for counting down and catching suspended fish.

i believe the extra wire is just bite off protection, done this way for simplicity. no wire leaders needed, and not having to re-tie from bite off's from pike. i dont think is a specific requirement for this to be a fish catcher, might be better with a flouro leader in fact.

french blades give very even lift. so if you cast it, count it down to 10 ft, and steady retrieve it will tend to stay at 10 ft. this is also true on bucktail spinners.

colorado's will have more lift and thump, will need slower retrieve. Willows have less lift and more flash, will need a faster retrieve speed. so just tools to you to use.

I did do a search in the forum and found a little bit of information on these.

Apparently the wire in the front not only help bite offs and adds abrasion resistance when fishing in the rocks, but, it also helps keep the lure from tangling on the line during casting.

Certainly looking forward to casting up a few of these and giving them a try this summer!

For my 1/4 and 1/2oz mold I found that the loop formed on my twistech (think it is the magnum) made the loop eye too big to fit in the mold. The Hagens small die did a better job but I had to do some adjusting with pliers.  If I remember correctly I think I was using .030-.032 wire from a 1/4 pound roll. 
The nose wire I was never able to find the exact length of it so I eyeballed it best I could.
As for the blade the #2 French blades in my opinion looked better than #3 on the 1/4 and 1/2oz weights. 
I will attach my cheat sheet for the wire form 9D56C09F-A56F-4244-90CA-6C08E10E00A2.thumb.jpeg.82b82be4bad30eca85f4b38b600b289c.jpegin case it might help. I did 2 wraps on each loop.

• Like 1