Painter1

Plasitol choice for Finesse baits

I’m starting again on a small scale, planning to make 4” worms, 2.75” “McMinnows”, and 3” grubs.  I’m thinking Soft? 

The lake I fish has very clear water with 15’ to 20’ visibility, so my goal is natural look.   Recommendations are most welcome.

"Super Soft" was my selling point back in the day here in Central California as there weren't many of us doing it at the time.  That rage really took off then.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but that seems to have fizzled a bit in the past decade or so.

Now that I'm doing my fair share of fishing, really the only bait that I want super soft is a worm because as jigmeister mentioned, it takes next to nothing to set the hook.  I don't want a soft craw, stick bait, ned rig, swimbait, etc.  Just don't care for the action on them in a softer plastic. 

So now that I've talked about pouring baits just for me and my son, I'd say I'd probably go with 80 percent medium and maybe have a gallon of super soft set aside for worms.  This is going completely against my selling point LOL! 

Just my :twocents:

• Like 1

Lure action always matters and I haven't done bad using med. plastic and still get the best action from all designs.

IMG_0278.JPG

As you see from the various actions tail, thin tails such as the spike tail, shad paddle and paddle tails shown, they all do just what their supposed to on slow retrieves mixed with slight rod tip twitches and/pauses. This 2 3/4 lb bass is an example caught yesterday:

IMG_4102.JPG.fcd6218bc8ae602e216ba1dce808cb22.JPG

The cone or taper tail grubs waddle with twitches added making for some incredible numbers of fish caught - 35 caught the day before that included a catfish and 3 species of panfish/ 82 in total caught with a few other designs. Medium plastic for all - 107 fish for 2 consecutive day.

IMG_4108.JPG.0193c9ec4807249883460e44353c4a1b.JPG

BTW the cone shaped tail was slammed by panfish of all sizes and the fish held on for good hook sets. Two schools of fish were a fishing nirvana for over and hour!

Edited by SpoonMinnow