Gurnky

Crankbait spiraling at surface

I just finished a group of five small crankbaits.  3 of the 5 won’t dive.  They pulling in spirals at the surface and just won’t hold to go down and wobble.  I am happy with my painting but am frustrated with the performance issue.  One of them I had to completely re-sand and then paint again.  I know that I have to have the line tie centered and the lip centered or it will pull left or right.  The spiral is a new problem.  I am wondering if I didn’t weight the bottom enough.  Not sure.  I can post a few pics.  Any ideas are appreciated.  Maybe the lips are too big or the angle too great?

I think this is a case were a photograph is justified. A picture will provide a lot of information. To make a judgement give length and weight of lure. How does it float. What body material, weight and position of ballast weight.

You should not be wasting time and effort painting a new lure until you have proven the design works.

Dave

• Like 2

I will post a pic this afternoon.  Flaswimbaiter, I tend to think it is my weight placement and amount as well.  And yes Vodkaman you are correct about testing.  Unfortunately in Iowa everything is frozen for the most part from December to end of February.  I will admit that I'm not as disciplined as I should be.  Thank you for the replies.

@woodieb8 nailed it on the head. I have had this issue in the past with cranks. Your bait will spiral from a few different things. One, which is previously mentioned, is not enough ballast. Another is your lip slot being crooked. And the final one I can think of is your lip being asymmetrically placed in the slot.  

• Like 1