Secretly Beloved

Help with getting color

LureWorks Cotton Candy 165

Purple Flake, some green flake, and what looks like a small amount of silver flake. Maybe you can adjust the color to your liking using a tiny bit of the florescent pink as alsworms said.

I have a bottle of cotton candy from MF I think from some years back. Used it once. And like the rest of us I have a bunch of colors I've only used once.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Secretly Beloved said:

I looked at the Soft plastic cook book for Cotton Candy and it says 1 drop Red and 1 drop Pumpkin? Not sure what Pumpkin is.

Doesn't sound right as I don't see pumpkin being in CC, but you can buy basic pumpkin at any lure parts place.  I would recommend NOT getting pumpkin from MF as it's very weak. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Secretly Beloved said:

I looked at the Soft plastic cook book for Cotton Candy and it says 1 drop Red and 1 drop Pumpkin? Not sure what Pumpkin is.

Check out Lureworks Cotton Candy 165. You won't need a cookbook. Just use that coloring. I can see no pumpkin in cotton candy.

• Thanks 1

On 5/13/2023 at 5:58 AM, Secretly Beloved said:

I went back and looked. That is Bear’s recipe. I’m guessing that the brown in the pumpkin mutes the red colorant to give it  that off pink look. 

• Thanks 1

You're really hung up on the pumpkin thing. Why use two colors and not be certain of the results, when you can use the one coloring, and be done with it?

Interestingly, there used to be many other suppliers of cotton candy pigment, but now it seems it's down to the one. I'm going to sacrifice some plastisol, and make the recipe, and see what I get. And I think I still have a bottle of cotton candy and make some.

Will report back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiderunner said:

You're really hung up on the pumpkin thing. Why use two colors and not be certain of the results, when you can use the one coloring, and be done with it?

Interestingly, there used to be many other suppliers of cotton candy pigment, but now it seems it's down to the one. I'm going to sacrifice some plastisol, and make the recipe, and see what I get. And I think I still have a bottle of cotton candy and make some.

Will report back.

Yes please report back! Sorry I am completely new and don’t know much just curious because I just got into bait making and I find it so interesting.

You could try some red & dip a tooth pick just slighty in some white to give it a pinkish hue. Just dip maybe an 1/8 inch & stir it in then if not enough repeat the process. It should take very little to get the pink look if you're dong a small batch. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Experiment #1 is complete. Using 10 drops of LureWorks 165 Cotton Candy I made a 6 inch finesse worm, and 4inch single tail grubs.The result was pretty darn close. I was a little heavy handed with the glitter. So it makes the color off just a hair

9 drops would have been sufficient possibly.

I'm not sure, are we allowed to post photos in the forums? Is so I will post them.

Keep in mind the original pics of the cotton candy color were made under top conditions. My pics are on the workbench.

Next up. Red and green pumpkin. Or is it brown pumpkin?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tiderunner said:

Experiment #1 is complete. Using 10 drops of LureWorks 165 Cotton Candy I made a 6 inch finesse worm, and 4inch single tail grubs.The result was pretty darn close. I was a little heavy handed with the glitter. So it makes the color off just a hair

9 drops would have been sufficient possibly.

I'm not sure, are we allowed to post photos in the forums? Is so I will post them.

Keep in mind the original pics of the cotton candy color were made under top conditions. My pics are on the workbench.

Next up. Red and green pumpkin. Or is it brown pumpkin?

I've always been a fan of posting photos in forums if it helps the question........and this definitely helps! 

Plus I'd love to see the color myself.  :D

Use what ever color name brown you have. Just go real easy with it. If it were me I’d start with a 1/2 cup plastic heated to 350° then I’d add glitter to your liking. From there I’d add a drop of red and a small dab of of brown on small screwdriver or something like that. I usually use the tip of my probe thermometer. Adjust with colorant from there. This way you work up your color around the glitter instead of fighting the glitter after your color is dialed in. 

So far I’ve tried a few variations.  I would say the 2 closest matches might be the Lureworks165. And 2 drops red to 3 drop brown pumpkin.  
I have written the blends down and placed samples side by side. It’s been a busy weekend so no time too post pics yet. And depending if I fish tomorrow or not I will have them online by the end of the day.

BTW.  To the OP. Thanks for reminding me about cotton candy. I forgot what a pretty good color it makes for targeting smallmouth.  Lots of possibilities! 
im already seeing a cotton candy/silver laminate senko.

On 5/21/2023 at 12:12 AM, Tiderunner said:

So far I’ve tried a few variations.  I would say the 2 closest matches might be the Lureworks165. And 2 drops red to 3 drop brown pumpkin.  
I have written the blends down and placed samples side by side. It’s been a busy weekend so no time too post pics yet. And depending if I fish tomorrow or not I will have them online by the end of the day.

BTW.  To the OP. Thanks for reminding me about cotton candy. I forgot what a pretty good color it makes for targeting smallmouth.  Lots of possibilities! 

Yep it is a good color that lots of folks use to fish. 

On 5/21/2023 at 12:12 AM, Tiderunner said:

I've been looking for a decent recipe for CC lately. Definitely going to pick up LW version, but it's fun to try and color match. You mentioned you got close with 2 red/3 brown pumpkin, I may try it, also with BP Flo-Pink to see if it gets me closer. 

On 5/16/2023 at 8:12 PM, Les Young said:

You could try some red & dip a tooth pick just slighty in some white to give it a pinkish hue. Just dip maybe an 1/8 inch & stir it in then if not enough repeat the process. It should take very little to get the pink look if you're dong a small batch. 

Never use a toothpick..it will absorb the colorant.  Use either a big sowing needle or paper clip.

4 hours ago, JBuff said:

Never use a toothpick..it will absorb the colorant.  Use either a big sowing needle or paper clip.

Do you  not realize how many folks use a tooth pick to do what i mentioned? I have a small metal skewer but have used tooth picks plenty of times to stir in a minute amount of colorant. what i said will work just fine.  :twocents:

• Like 1