sup1677

Mold problem

Hi, I don't know what the problem is... I've tried all the different temperatures, fast pressure, longer pressure on the injector, heating the mold, etc... and the result is just like this... Bubbles and holes at the top...

Does anyone know what the problem is... could it be the form?

Thx

IMG_20230522_164450.jpg

IMG_20230523_130039.jpg

IMG20230522164436.jpg

IMG_20230523_130147.jpg

57 minutes ago, canuck 2 said:

With the image I see it looks like two different shoots were needed to fill all the cavity above the top of the bait. A definite colour change in the bait and above it. What size of injector are you using.

100ml, injection hole diameter 7.5 mm....... the lure is 14 cm long (4.75 inches)

1 hour ago, Apdriver said:

I just imagine it’s how the sprue is built with the constriction causing it. That said, when you cut the sprue off your bait it would be barely noticeable. Shoot it and go fishing. nice looking bait.

do you think that if there was a wider channel, the problem would go away?

This issue has came up before with a mold that has that same sprue configuration. IIRC it’s a mold from Europe? Not sure if you removed it whether it would rectify this issue and would sure depend on the laminar flow of the work. You could introduce more issue if done incorrectly. I would prolly just live with it. Very minor. 

8 minutes ago, Apdriver said:

This issue has came up before with a mold that has that same sprue configuration. IIRC it’s a mold from Europe? Not sure if you removed it whether it would rectify this issue and would sure depend on the laminar flow of the work. You could introduce more issue if done incorrectly. I would prolly just live with it. Very minor. 

I have 4 mold chambers, so I'll probably try experimenting with one. Otherwise, yes, Europe. .... I have the smaller versions perfectly fine, but the form is branched - one inlet and the baits are filled from the side

It's the sharp transition/edge/corner between the end of the bait and the vertical sprue.  Bubbles need very little to hold them from smoothly rising to the top.   Had that large bubble found a smooth transition at that particular intersection, it would have slipped around the corner and continued upward.  There should be a radius instead of a sharp edge. 

You can create that by using a hand "deburring tool" that machinists use, or just using a very fine sandpaper and rounding the edge over.  Don't over due it.  Just getting rid of the sharp edge is all that is needed.  Even a small polishing tool in a electric hand rotary device may be enough.  That's my 2 cents worth...

• Thanks 1