mark poulson

matching body/tail color can you help me?

That is Rainbow shad but I haven't ever had one in my hand.  The  3 inch model looks completely different color wise. 

I think the photo makes it look purple because of the tail section and comparison with the light smoke/near clear bottom pour.  

• Like 1

Several colors I have used over the years seam to be fairly close to the base color.  With some tweaking should be able to reach if from a few different directions.  Most of the photos on the internet use the same stock image but there are a few that don't.   

A lot of the Arkansas shiner recipes would come fairly close (ditch the pearl in the belly color).  I used to pour a lot of flukes and sluggo baits with backs in a cinnamon, root beer, brown pumpkin range and tweak to get the desired hue/transparency requested. 

On large orders would typically have them send me a lure or stop at the store and buy a pack of what I was looking to match.  Even then you would find some manufactures colors varied.  For some large orders would send several packs that were slightly different so they could pick but those were larger quantities.

Edited by Travis
  • Like 1