Hand Crafted Angling

Best Silicon for jig molds

I was wondering what everyone uses for making there jig molds. I had a  couple tog jig ideas and some fluke bucktail ideas I wanted to make. I've got a 3d printer so i was gonna print a master and cast the silicon onto of it but there's a ton of different options. I've seen a few guys using mold max 60 but its a bit pricey. Lets resin makes mold making silicon that is much cheaper. I was wondering if anyone has gotten away with using cheaper silicon for the molds.

Since you said "Ideas" I am assuming you're talking about prototypes of your ideas .

It's better to go the cheapest route at first when creating a mold just in case the finished product does not perform as expected and modifications are required .

You can create a two- part mold capable of pouring molten lead into a few times before degrading out of plaster product called "Durhams water putty "

You need to bake the mold after it dries to insure no moisture remains before pouring hot lead into it .  It is really the cheapest option .

• Like 1

On 6/1/2023 at 9:31 AM, jigmeister said:

Since you said "Ideas" I am assuming you're talking about prototypes of your ideas .

It's better to go the cheapest route at first when creating a mold just in case the finished product does not perform as expected and modifications are required .

You can create a two- part mold capable of pouring molten lead into a few times before degrading out of plaster product called "Durhams water putty "

You need to bake the mold after it dries to insure no moisture remains before pouring hot lead into it .  It is really the cheapest option .

Yeah I’ve never made any jig molds before only soft plastic so the cheap prototype would be the best option for me.I’ll look into the putty. The final version would be the silicon as it’s for personal use and machining is very expensive.

If you do some searching here and online you will probably come across tutorials and info on creating two part molds using Durhams water putty . It is essential to get all of the moisture out of the mold by baking before attempting any pours .

Good luck on your jig ideas ...

• Like 1