Flaswimbaiter

Sealing with superglue gel

I have been using the thin glue to seal the entire bait and the gel for protecting small detailed areas. Have any of you used the gel to seal an entire bait and if so, how well did it seal? Did it sink in deep like the liquid kind?

I ask because the gel appears to be easier to work with. You can spread it easier, and it takes longer to dry.

Have not used the gel to seal a bait did use to seal a few pens I turned when ran out of the regular super glure.  It won't be absorbed as readily as the liquid due to viscosity.   Personally I find the liquid easier better to coat things and the gel reserved for applications where I need it to stay put (mounting coral frags for example).

A finger cot or vinyl glove makes short work of coating a bait.  On my lathe I have sealed much larger pieces (bowls) with superglue in no time.

Apply in low humidity settings and cure times will slow dramatically.  A dehumidifier in a bathroom or walk in closet will let  most get down to much drier conditions, even in humid environments.   One year we had a small lab space 8 ft x 8 ft approximately that the AC had issues in and had to do some work on some materials that were sensitive to humidity.  I could start out in the mid 70% range and get down to near 12% quickly running two run of the mill big box store units.

• Like 3

i use the thin super glue a lot when prototyping and building test baits. and use the gel on stuff like eyes, if using screws or twistwire.

not sure how long the superglue sealing will last, but some of them baits are getting up there now. 

Edited by Outlaw4
  • Like 2