TBait

Loop Knot / Snaps / Split Rings

Need opinions....... I have always tied loop knots (KING SLING) on my crankbaits. I felt this gave the bait a better action. Are snaps any better than split rings? Are splits stronger than snaps? Do any of the above result in a better action to the bait? How do you prevent line from sliding in between the splits in a split ring? The very ends of a splitrings are sharp, you risk line damage if it comes into contact or slides in between. Lets hear the view points.....

I alwais used snaps! I never used split rings on my baits! I am afrait it would cut the line. Depending on the size of the lure snaps have some influence on the lure or not, but nowadays you can find smaller and smaller snaps, that are more resistent than the generation before them.

I also used the rapala knot(at least that's the name i know it has), but is kind of inconvenient, because it takes time to change the lure. Don't know about you, but i change my lures as often as i can if i see no results in about 10 minutes.

Or depending on the day i may insist with one lure more, because it caught fish in other days that where similar to the one i'm fishing at the moment.

Depending on the snaps they are more or less stronger than split rings.

From my experience: these ones are the ones i never use, because they fail quite well(http://www.worthco.com/fish/swivels2.html#safety)(dont know about this ones, but the ones i had and looked exactly like this were aufull), these are the ones i use:(couldn't find the exact ones)(http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jhtml?id=0000016113072a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnString=hasJS=true&_D%3AhasJS=+&QueryText=snaps&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jhtml.22&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=snaps&noImage=0&returnPage=search-results1.jhtml). Something like these ones, but without the swivels. The ones i use can be found in small sizes(that's about what i need, because i usually fish with 1 to 3ynch baits.

I know that these ones are as tough as they get : http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jhtml?id=0011850113060a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnString=hasJS=true&_D%3AhasJS=+&QueryText=snaps&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jhtml.22&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=snaps&noImage=0&returnPage=search-results1.jhtml(this model), but are kind of large for my tiny baits.

Last night I bought a pack of size 3 snaps. I tied 12 lb test mono to each end approximately 3 ft on each end. I then wrapped each end around each of my hands and began pulling....and pulling...eventually the 12 lb mono broke and there was absolutely no flex to the snap. Someone used to make split ring type deal that was a quick release, by pinching it. It was different in design....I just cant remember who or what it was called.

I have also gone to all clips for crankbaits. I have been using the norman speed clips:

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=1625&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

They have worked well for me and have not had any failures. I like these versus the regular snap because sometimes you have to bend the snap if you were going to use a Fat Free Shad type bait with the line tie in that little depression on the lip. So if your goal is to change baits easily, quickly, and with little failure potential, give the speed clips a try. (I sound like an infomercial LOL)

Good luck.

Volp1

i use the Norman snaps as well and love them. I still leave the split rings in place for added action. I have noticed on jigs and paddle tails or grubs the snaps will sometimes start to come off. but if you look at it every few casts your ok. I think its from fatiqui (sp) from use thow. I have started changing clips when I retie from frays and stressed line. seames to have solved the probblem. :D