softworm

Need recipe for Road Kill Camo

It is that good! Number 1 color in the northeast. I'm suprised nobody has caught on in the west or south with it yet. It is really popular over here on tubes. It is like a creamy green pumpkin with a little copper tint but I got nuthin for a recipe. It is hard to recreate.

It's actually pretty big out west here now. Thing is.......Roadkill is one of those "iffy" colors.......kinda like Oxblood. Everyone has their own idea of what roadkill should look like. I have purchased 2 different lots of tubes online........both in Roadkill. One looked like motor oil and the other a green pumpkin. I have a fairly good idea for a recipe on both, but I wouldn't want to steer you in the wrong direction.

As Jake mentioned, a clear picture would sure help. We could maybe put a few heads together and come up with a recipe for ya.

Chris

I did some research of photos last night on the WWW and found interesting changes in roadkill camo.

For the most part, earlier versions/colors were more of a green color than brown.

Later colors have migrated towards the brown shade.

I don't know if this makes the color better to the fish or just is different interpretations on how this color should look from different manufacturers or pourers.

I guess just like green pumpkin and other colors, everbody has their own "shade" of a color.

Jim

This is where the fun part of pouring your own plastic begins. Start tinkering with colors and you'll come up with your own unique version of roadkill camo. It does catch fish here in the south. My version has a little more green tint to it.

permission..........just kidding man, I haven't forgotten your jigs, I've just been very occupied. I have since updated the Roadkill color that was in the sticky and it is pretty close to the original tube color. I can tell you that it is difficult to duplicate because it is just more than a few colors mixed together, it is rather complex. The photo on that ebay link is mine and it is very dark, the baits are not that dark. I've had success pouring them from brownish to greenish.....it doesn't really matter, it is just a very good color.

Roadkill definetly hot in the south, perhaps even past tense in many areas. I can remember using roadkill camo at least 3 years ago in the Western KY, Tennesse area. It was pretty common every fishing report would have the roadkill cammo tubes as what the fish where biting. Snoozers brand generally I know they have been making that color for a minimum of 4 years.

• Like 1

Your right Craig. this is one color that is hard to get a decent shot of. The baits are definitely not as dark as they look. If you hold mine up to any light, you can see the olive color and the flake (if any) in the bait easily.

I like the shot you got as you can see the copper shine real well.

I am going to try a box sometime soon. Or send some to Danny and let him shoot them. He is a PRO!!!

Jim

I poured my first "Beavers" and don't really know how to fish them. How are you guys catching fish on them. I have a buddy of mine that fishes the "beaver" from Reaction and swears by them. I would like to get him to try mine. He's a little hesitant because of the flat side. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm fishing mine with a #4 wide gap gamakatsu hook and a pegged 1/32oz weight for a slow fall. The fish kill it on the fall!!! The lakes are generally shallow here and even the end of the docks are not more than 8 ft deep in many of the lakes.

Some fish them on a jig head or as a trailer on a jig. You can use a heavier weight t-rigged and even drop shot or c-rig the darn things.

The advantage you have is that your baits will be way softer and much more durable. Not to mention you can do colors for your buddy that he can't get from RI....like Roadkill Camo for instance...

Jim

Flat side down gives you the advantage of putting the hook point into the ribs to "skin" it.

BTW: I have an original Roadkill Camo tube from Mizmo!!!! I know there are a lot of versions out there of this color but I can tell you that the color I pour (was pouring) is way to dark and not green pumkin enough compared to the original. I'm sure all the variations work as good and maybe even better in some cases.

Jim

PS The bait I have is a tube so the color would be a little lighter (cause the high salt content) compare to our "non-salted" baits.....

Craig...you have some of the originals from like 8 years ago??? Nice!!!!There has been a change in the color since way back. Seems it has gone more the way of green pumpkin....

Even over the net I can see the difference in color. Sure it has to do with changes in personnel at Mizmo...

Those tubes catch fish!!!!

I still have the originals when they were made custom for Snoozers, who I used to rep for back in the day.....made through Mizmo. Shuberts and Harry's makes the color and I've seen both as being very green in color. The new Mizmo color varies slightly but I'm not sure it really matters, the green coppery goodness just flat out works.