softworm

Need recipe for Road Kill Camo

I've been playing with shooting photos of different colors lately and have come to the conclusion that the studio is the place for hardbaits, but for shooting soft plastics, you can't beat natural light!

Now, here's the catch. The exact color of your bait might appear different depending on the time of the day you shoot it! Early morning light tends to be a little 'cooler' (more blueish) than late afternoon (afternoon light is warmer, a little more red). Using something light colored, preferably white for a background seems to work well, but watch your exposure because this white can fool your light meter in your cameras. Whatever you do, do not shoot at midday...the light is way too harsh.

If you have transparent pours, you might consider sacrificing one copy and rig it up so you can hang it from a line in front of your background (I like white foam board, but poster board should work well) a little bit away from it (about 6" or so). This will let the translucence show up in the photograph as the white background will reflect light back through the bait and allow your colors to show up.

Take this and run with it! Experiment with your photos like you do your pours.

-Danny

P.S. I'm always available for help, so your having problems getting pics of certain baits, let me know and we'll see if we can work through it.

I've been thinking about turn my empty aquarium upside down and putting a flor. light under it facing up with the bait on the glass, should hopefully show the color's real well, will be trying it later tonight. Will put a pic. of it up, if it comes out good.

The pic. above really looks great....excellent job.

I was reading this post and some others and decided to try and make something a little different. It's a strange color after it's poured. I used1.5 cups plastic w/softner 25 drops. 10 drops LC watermelon, 10 drops LC green pumpkin, 5 drops LC rootbeer and 1/8 cup copper pearl. I had some extra copper pearl that I had laying around and I think it was 3/4 cup plastic and 1/4 teaspoon Copper pearl. Looks like a brownish tint green pumpkin until you put it in the sun light. Then the copper really jumps out. I can't wait to try this out with my new beaver molds I got from Bob's

Mark

Chris, who is the guy on Ebay who does all of his hand pour photos outdoors??? Creek Critter? That guy has the most amazing photos I've seen of plastic baits.

Yep - it's Creek Critters. They make some awesome colors and always have great shots of their plastics. Those guys are true professionals!

I recently stumble across some DIY "photo-studio" setup for photographing flies (which I'd say is much simpler to implement then what I have posted in the docks) and the info provided has much more details in the intricacies of lighting effects. It should be applicable to SP as well. Check it out. Be sure to look at the slide show, it illustrates the different lighting effects very well.