rico.29

beginner at pouring and need advise

Hello everybody,

i've been looking for a site to learn pouring and molding (as i'm a beginer) and i find tackleunderground.com, it's the place to be, very great.

here is my problem, i would like to mold javallon plastic lure from imakatsu, you can see them at http://www.imakatsu.co.jp/products/pro_a018.html

they have incredible swim and fish love them (since i get them i only fish with it)

as i get a very few (very hard to get) of them i would like to make a mold to pour my own but as i say i'm a beginner and i would like to know the best way to mold it.

i was thinking of a 1 part mold, would it work?

Please let me know your advise.

Thank you,

Eric.

Eric, welcome to TU :)

I have looked at that bait several times. Because of the geometry of the bait, I really think you will need to make a 2 piece mold in order to have the swimming action stay the same. By making a 1 piece mold of that bait, you will be loosing the curvature of the back and the tail will be perfectly in-line with the back.

There is an ebay user that sells those baits on occassion. user id: ginrinpeche

If I were you, I would practice making some 2 piece molds out of plaster on a bait that you have plenty of. Once you are comfortable with the plaster, then attempt to make one of the Javallon.

My friend has one he bought off Ebay but it was pricey 8O !!!!! He has only thrown it in a pool so far as he is saving it for a trip to Mexico.

What an action filled bait!!! I'm sure it would have to be a 2 peice mold and it will be hard to duplicate those joints well.

My buddy's biggest fear is that a smaller (less than 12lb) fish will rip the back end off before he gets his trophy :censored: !!!

Jim

I've made a 2 part mold from a javallon that a friend gives me.

for my first attempt , i think the mold is rather good even if there a few bubbles (next time it will be better). i didn't find anywhere to buy soft plastic to pour, so i tried with old soft lures. i heat the plastic on a hotplate and i pour it (a few part burned). the result was awfull only the half of the mold was filled by plastic. how should i do to pour correctly, as the mold has 3 sections of 2mm large.

i think my plastic was not hot enought, is microwave technic better to get a very liquid plastic (plastic i poured was rather thicky)?

Thank you.