Stumpy041486

stinky senkos

hey

ive made a few senkos and they stink really bad.....its smells like the plastic did when i heated it.... how do i get rid of it?....im afraid the fish arent gont like them smelling like .... i was thinking of mixing some garlic lure spray in the next time a make some.... any comment on that? on this first batch i made many were hollow about an inch on the top....know anyway to fix this?i pour till it fills up but they are still doing that.... any tips would be apreciated.... i did catch a fish on the senkos i made.... i think i put to much salt in them because they sink faster than a normal senko

thanx

Well I have a few questions,

A: did you burn or scorch the plastics when you were melting them?

B: were you re-using other plastics to make them with? Or was it fresh "un cooked" plastic?

c: and if so, from what company did you get this from?

But to answer your question about scents, you can add it to the plastics just before you pour them. Garlic is a cover scent, not a attractant.

Otherwise we would use garlic cloves to catch fish.

Try crawfish, Or go for the PRO-CURE threadfin shad. But if your married, or have that someone special, use the garage or do it outside. It will smell pretty bad inside the house.

And about the hollow top part, I take it that you have one of Dels 2 part molds? If so, the plastic will "shrink a bit when cooling, and in doing so give you this tube affect.

All you do is watch the top of the mold, when you see it starting to be sucked down just add a bit more to the top.

Mercury,

could you explain a bit more on how and when and how much scent to add please? I should be getting my ups LC shipment today and have a bunch of scents in it. I use alot of salt in my senkos(del's mold), just under 1 cup of salt to 1 cup of plastic. Will this affect how much scent I should use? Thanks

Luke

I use LC's garlic but thats because I have it. Chris @Al's worms turned me onto PRO-CURE a few months ago. The threadfin shad is a great product.

But anyway, LC's Garlic is strong. I add 5 drops to 6 oz of plastic.

You do it just before you pour to keep as much of the scent in the plastic as possible. ( so you dont cook it out of the plastic)

Just be warned, it will fill the garage with garlic odor.

But you can also add it to the finished product. Its a prefrence thing.

Added to the plastic it cant wash off.

Even after hours of fishing I could still smell the garlic in the plastics.

A: No i dont think i burned it...it looked fine... i would guess that burned plastic would have a brown/black tint to it...this didnt

B:Fresh un cooked plastic

C:Lure Craft

Where can i get this PRO-CURE scent? how much should i use?should i use worm oil for my senkos? i ordered some from lure craft but it wasnt in my box of stuff but they didnt charge me either....so should i reorder some or dont worry about it?

thanx

You can get Pro Cure directly from their website at www.pro-cure.com .

You don't need to use much; about a drop per ounce of plastic for any of their products.

I don't know what scent you ordered from Lure Craft, but double check the invoice. Sometimes they don't have the product in stock and there will be a post on the invoice saying B/O (backorder). Either that or make sure you talk to Dave. He's a lot more knowledgeable than......well......I won't mention her name. :lol:

Chris

Pro cure is http://www.pro-cure.com/ 6 drops in 6 oz is a good start.

burnt, scorched plastic will be as mundane as discoloration. Darker colors might not really show this.

with fresh plastic, I would try it again. Heat the plastic for 2 min, stir, heat for 2 min, stir, repeat this until it is cooked all the way through. plastic will be clear.

then add your color.

I have had greens/black not change color. But florescent yellow has turned orange due to over heating the plastic. heat stabilizer has helped solve this problem. Keeps bright colors bright.

As far as worm oil, its a packing tool. I dip the heads of the lures in it, then open the bag and insert the lures into it. The oil keeps it from sticking to the bags.

it adds nothing to the worm but it does feel neat in the bag. You can add scent and get the same affect.

Dont get me wrong, I use it and mix it it with scent, and even use it to thin the colors with when needed.

thanx for all the comments....i might have scorched the plastic but it didnt change the color any and it was a light color....pink(bubble gum) with blue glitter....so i add the color after its cooked? i added to color before ..... wat about the salt? add it before or after?....if this helps im using a microwave and not stove....i will have to order me some of that scent

Yeah funny thing about the FLO collors, if you add them to hot plastic, they like to clump up and not mix.

Salt can go at any time, but for the plastic to stay a liquid the longest add it before or durring heating.

If it didnt darken the pink, I doubt that it was scorched. Maybe over heated, but not by much. If the glitter didnt melt away to nothing, I doubt that you did it really bad.

But if you make it like I do, with red and mix in white, I would add it after it was cooked.

The big thing about the butters, they are made for hard lures, or to fill inside of tubes. They melt slowly, giving a hard bait a scent trail.

oils and scauce are made for soft plastics. Chris is right scauce has sea salts in the mix, plus the added water makes them pop when added to the hot plastic. But for what it adds to the plastic I will put up with the few seconds of poping.

After I run out of the garlic, I will be buying from PRO_CURE for that too.

Awsome stuff all the way around.

The anise, its like black licorish. (sp) The threadfin is lile LC's shad, But much stronger. (MUCH MUCH STRONGER)

Minnow wouldnt be bad, B ut I have found most will bite easialy on the shad.

If you are looking for what Chris and I are using look for the bass scents in pro cure, then you will find the threadfin sauce. The sauce also has other "bite triggers" in it. My guess is the oils do not. Its just the fish oils verry concentrate.

Thanks Mercury for mentioning that. I'd forgotten that the threadfin is a sauce rather than an oil. The threadfin does bubble, but not nearly as much as the other sauces (not sure why :rolleyes: ). I love the smell of their crawfish, but I just can't mix it in the plastic. It does work great mixed in the bag with a touch of popcorn salt though.

The anise scent has a very distinctive smell. It's awesome because it mixes the typical black licorice smell with many other natural juices.

I like to use the minnow scent with my saltwater swimbaits. It has a natural shad scent; stronger than Lure Craft, but not nearly as strong as the threadfin.

Bottom Fish is another good one; kinda middle of the road between crawfish and threadfin.

Those are the only scents I've tried. If anyone fiddles with others, please let me know. So far I haven't found a scent by Pro Cure that I'm not sold on. :)

Chris