Fleury9816

Applying fishing line

I heard two people talking about a backlash one of them had on their baitcaster and something one of them said caught my attention.

He said, "maybe you didn't spool your pole correctly, there is a certain way for the line to come off the spool."

Is that true? I never really thought about it. Does it make a difference which way the line is coming off the spool, the top or the bottom?

Does it matter which way you thread your line on the baitcaster, whether you go under the spool and tie or over the spool and tie?

Thanks.

Here's what I do for baitcasters.

I put a pencil or pen through the hole in the spool on line and have someone hold it, putting their finger against each side to give it just a little tension.

Then I run the line under a phone book. This puts just enough tension on the line that it won't backlash while your reeling it on.

Basically, for baitcasters the spool of new line should be spinning. For spinning reels it should come off of one side of the spool, without the spool of new line moving.

Lots of good tips here. The idea of the wet cloth that Tally gave is one of them. That white chaulky substance on some fishing line is called monomer bleed. It is caused when line is getting old and starts to deteriorate. A trick that I picked up from watching a guy spooling line at Bass Pro Shops in Mo. was to move the line back and forth with your fingers as you spool it. Just hold your line between two fingers in front of the reel and move it back and forth to get your line evenly loaded across your spool. This will eliminate line building up on one dominate side of the spool. This has really helped eliminate backlashing.

Skeeter