cadman

Hook Comparison Chart

Does anyone have a chart or knows where I can find a chart that compares identicle hooks from different manufacturers. For example. I know that a Eagle Claw 570 hook, is similar to a Mustad 32756, Matzuo 9014, etc. This would make it easier to compare different hook manufacturers to alike hooks, then to constantly go to the catalogs. Kind of a Quick Reference Chart.

http://www.mustad.no/products/index_hooks.php

This is a link for the Mustad web page.

If you click on the hooks you are looking for, like Ultrapoint, then click on the hook number, that will take you to the hook. Then read at the bottom, it tells you how to print a page to get an actual print of the hook.

This is very helpful to me on sizing hooks.

You know what guys, I'm going to start one, (if after a week no-one responds to this post with an answer) and post it for every one to see. My intent is to get all the info together and do this. As I complie the info (it may take several months or so), I will let everyone see it, and hopefully comment on it, and correct any mis-information from your past knowledge. This will be a work in progress. If everyone reads it and lets me know of the mistakes, I can correct it, and we will all have a guide on what hooks are identical from what manufacturers. This will help everyone. Moderators, where would be the best place to post this, as it will take awhile to gather data?

Moderators, where would be the best place to post this, as it will take awhile to gather data?

Depending on the file type, you can post it here in the forums. we'd be happy to host the chart with credit to those involved.

Good luck, need help lemme know.

Cadman, you will need hook samples because what you read is not always the way it is. I just bought some Mustad widegap hooks size 1/0 and they are almost the exact size as the Matzuo 3/0 (I don't think I spelled that correctly, but; you know what hook I mean) and they both fit the same Do-It molds. Diachi was kind enough to send me some samples of their hooks and none of them fit the Do-It molds. We are just talking simple Eagle Claw type 570 hooks for ball jigs. Good luck with your project and I am sure you would get some samples if you need them. Pop

Cadman, you are taking on a HUGE project. Any help I can lend, like samples or anything, you got it. Just a thought, but I wonder if anyone, like Harry, at Shorty's would have something like this as it would be an invaluable tool for them. And like Pop said, some of the manufacturers didn't follow the rules and make them all the same size. I use a lot of Owner hooks and they are larger than most others in the same size, they can be crossed over but to a different size of a different manufacturer. Good Luck and help is just a post away.

This is my thought for now. All hooks would be for all standard molds. Not molds that someone customized to make hooks work. Lots of guys don't want or like to modify their molds. I don't want to encompass everyone's creativity, if I did that I would die writing and searching for data. All hooks would cover Do-It and other mold companies that are current. I do not intend to do trebles and other hooks that are not used for pouring in lead molds. I don't use them in making lead jigs, so that would narrow it down. Yes I will need samples at some point and time. However, I will look at my stock, and post what I have, so I won't be duplicating things. Let's take this slow and see how it comes along............Ted

I was trying to match up some hooks a while back that were supposidly VMC size 10 and 12 90deg jig hooks and a size 12 aberdine. When I bought the hooks they did not match the samples I was trying to match. My hooks in the jigs were a tad smaller and not identical. I was trying to match custom jigs and spins ice jig hooks. I still have some, the are supposidly bulk vmc, I want to say 9147 off hand, but there were not labeled. Yell if you want some for your chart. 10&12 90deg gold and 10&12 aber/gold

Me and small hooks, who would have thought???:lol:

Actually the next project is pouring 1/4 cappie spinnerbaits and 1.5oz heavy Sb, im gonna need hooks bigger than 10 and 12

Man, thats complicated. Just for 90* Aberdeen you've got xshort, short, regular, and long shanks. Then for wire you've got light, heavy, and 2x. Then you've got the forged versions. And chemically sharpened. Then you've got hard to fit Gamakatsu non-traditional sizing, and now 2x that don't fit stock molds. Where to start?

I just got the 2008 Bass Pro Shop catalog. There are always the usual 5 or 6 pages of hooks but the pictures always fall far short of being able to do a side-by-side comparison that world include a silhouette of the actual hooks. It would be nice to have an actual website to do a side-by-side comparison on-line. Any ideas on how to put pressure on a Stamin’s or other web retailer to put one together???

This is an old post, and I know that if at one point, I had everything done, it would be a tremendous help to everyone here. When I finally sat down and looked at the whole concept, it was too enormous to do at the time. It still is. I am still keeping this on the back burner. I love challenges, and this would definitely be one worth while. However at this time, I can not devote all that time to get this done. So currently nothing has been done on this original thread. Sorry guys, but it still gnaws at me, so maybe one day...................Ted

Cadman:

Need samples of what we have??

I'll contribute samples.

I've found there are very few 'standardizations' in the fishing industry products.

Not only hooks, but line breaking strength varies significantly. When you look at off-the-shelf rods, action and power is meaningless. One's Medium may be another's MH.

It would be nice to see the industry move toward standard measurements and metrics, but I dont see it happening anytime soon.