jmik26

Shipping Baits the Cheapest Way?

On 10/29/2020 at 4:05 PM, R Glover said:

My wife said that USPS charges an average of 3.00 now got a 5oz envelope. The 11oz one that we shipped today cost 4.25,  prices varies on what part of the country that you are shipping to.

Latest update. I've attempted to ship large envelope and added the baits in such a way that they lay flat. This cost me $1.40. I somehow have a feeling it will be rejected but I needed to know if this would be a solution. If not I'll be stuck with the small package option around $4.00 like you've said. How many baits are you adding to your packages and how much are you charging for them? the margins are super tight on this stuff so I'm starting to think I can only do bulk sales. How are you making any profit on this?

2 hours ago, Bass-Boys said:

"True" profit -

after "all" cost are figured,,

supplies ( yes figure in "all" supplies ) , labor,, electricity, gas to post office ,, ect. 

Is very hard to come by in this hobby.   

very good points. I guess this is part of my discovery here and making me think closer about my goals in bait making. I've stopped buying main stream plastic baits and vowed to not buy another but rather buy a comparable mold, so long term maybe 10 years down the road I may save using using my own plastic.

regarding the costs. I'm just calculating the actual costs to make the product and ship it and still seeing I won't make anything on this. I'm in it for the hobby but hoping to at least break even by buying the supplies and selling them. my calculations may be off, let me know what you think. 

2.8" Swimbait    
Bag - .16 Each    
Glitter - 0.36 3x 1/4 tsp    
Plastic $48/gallon shipped. 16 cups per gallon. $3/cup. 1 cup makes 30 baits. .10/bait. 15 baits is $1.50
Envelope - .66 Each    
Shipping - 4.00    
Ebay Fee - 1.20    
My Cost = 7.88    
This many baits might sell for $7.99 if I'm lucky  

Edited by 2marshall8

11 hours ago, 2marshall8 said:

very good points. I guess this is part of my discovery here and making me think closer about my goals in bait making. I've stopped buying main stream plastic baits and vowed to not buy another but rather buy a comparable mold, so long term maybe 10 years down the road I may save using using my own plastic.

regarding the costs. I'm just calculating the actual costs to make the product and ship it and still seeing I won't make anything on this. I'm in it for the hobby but hoping to at least break even by buying the supplies and selling them. my calculations may be off, let me know what you think. 

2.8" Swimbait    
Bag - .16 Each    
Glitter - 0.36 3x 1/4 tsp    
Plastic $48/gallon shipped. 16 cups per gallon. $3/cup. 1 cup makes 30 baits. .10/bait. 15 baits is $1.50
Envelope - .66 Each    
Shipping - 4.00    
Ebay Fee - 1.20    
My Cost = 7.88    
This many baits might sell for $7.99 if I'm lucky  

You must buy" all"  items in bigger bulk containers to help with lowering your cost . $48.00 per gallon is costly for just this 1 item .

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bass-Boys said:

You must buy" all"  items in bigger bulk containers to help with lowering your cost . $48.00 per gallon is costly for just this 1 item .

yah. this was a concern of mine, but yah $30/gallon plus $18 for shipping. so yah bulk will be key. what plastic do you buy to keep these costs down and buy in bulk?

Edited by 2marshall8

On 11/30/2020 at 12:37 PM, 2marshall8 said:

Latest update. I've attempted to ship large envelope and added the baits in such a way that they lay flat. This cost me $1.40. I somehow have a feeling it will be rejected but I needed to know if this would be a solution. If not I'll be stuck with the small package option around $4.00 like you've said. How many baits are you adding to your packages and how much are you charging for them? the margins are super tight on this stuff so I'm starting to think I can only do bulk sales. How are you making any profit on this?

We pass the shipping on to the customer, the padded envelope is figured into the shipping.

On 10/29/2020 at 4:56 AM, R Glover said:

The padded envelopes are 67.95 per 500. Size 6.5 X 10.  I get them on Ebay

Yes you can add about .13 ea on the padded envelopes.  I will check with my wife & see if USPS had another price increase, seems like she said something about that a couple of weeks ago.

How many baits are you putting into a padded envelope this big? my struggle is I sell more bulk quantity and customers will buy more than one pack (60ish baits) so this size envelope won't work, things will be too squishy in there and quality may be sacrificed.  I'm still figuring out the right size. .13/c each is awesome. I'm looking at around 8.5 x 14.