st8fishin

Producing a crackled or a marbled finish?

Hey thanks woodie,

I had'nt taken into consideration that it was a store bought production finish, that could be painted on. :?I've spent the last two days trying to create a crackled appearance with a heat gun and acrylics. I'm getting better at making baits, but painting them is not my greatest talent. Another lesson learned. Again thanks for the info.

I have done the crackle finish by spraying a heavy layer of createx pearl over the base coat and while its still wet, throw a coat of transparent or Opaque color over it. While it is still wet, Hit it with the hair dryer!

The outer color will skin over before the lower coat. As the lower coat dry's it will create the crackle finish your looking for.

Good Luck.

Thanks Seminolefan,

That's exactly what I was trying to do. I just couldn't get the layering combinations correct. What I ended up with was a great big gobba paint. I think buying a product from a local craft store might be a better choice for me right now. You sure have a great website. Great lures.

Thanks Seminolefan,

That's exactly what I was trying to do. I just couldn't get the layering combinations correct. What I ended up with was a great big gobba paint. I think buying a product from a local craft store might be a better choice for me right now. You sure have a great website. Great lures.

You can do it without buying the crackle finish from the hobby store.. Just remember, when its wet, hit it with the hair dryer on HIGH until its dry.. You will get that crackle finish, As long as your dryer gets hot.. Good luck

If nobody suggested it yet you could try American Accents brand paint called Crackle Creations--buy it at Lowes or other such hardware & department stores..Its a 2 can kit works great..Used it on some lures and ice decoys..Heres a link if it works to my lure photo labum..you'll find a crackle or 2 there & some marbled as well but theyre listed as "swirl" if you want to see the results..Good luck,John... http://new.photos.yahoo.com/jpm_ohio/album/576460762340939651