mnflyfisher

processing bucktails (curing, dying, etc)

I was reading a few posts on dying buck tails but am looking for more information. I would like to know the whole process used, from the time you cut the tail off the deer, how do you cure it / cut the hide etc? and what is the whole process for dying the tail? I would like to use the closest thing that is used for the store bought stuff already colored buck tails.

This would make a great tutorial (with pics) for the member submitted tutorials section if someone felt ambitious. :wink:

• Like 1

With some things, I think you just need to wade in and get your hands dirty.

Years ago, I told my deer-hunting friends to save me a few bucktails. I deboned the tails and cut off any fat, and cured the tails with a mix of borax and salt. Let 'em get good and dry.

Then I bought a few boxes of RIT dye, and just followed the instructions. You want hot (not boiling) water, add dye, and add some salt for color-fastness and truest color. Soak the tails for an hour, rinse in warm and then cold water until the water runs clear. Then hang 'em up and let dry. Fairly simple process, and the tails came out perfect. I still have some of those tails left, and use them for tying saltwater bucktails.

There's more info here, give it a go and tell us how it worked for you. http://www.ritdye.com/Achieving+True+Color.11.lasso

On the 3oz jigs below, the olive bucktail in the dressing is home dyed. It's colorfast. Good luck.

file.php?n=790&w=o

The dyes in Kool-Aid are as colorfast as any other acid dyes. Rinsing thoroughly will prevent running for the most part. ANY dye will eventually fade if it's exposed to a lot of light. Just a word on Rit dyes: Rit dyes are mixed dyes meant for fabric, and when used on animal products, won't get you the colors you see on the bottle - the material won't absorb 100% of the dye, and what you'll get is a muted version of the color. I use Rit when I'm looking for natural-looking earth tones and Kool-Aid when I want bright colors. You can buy acid dyes (Jacquard, etc.) but unless you need a specific color, Kool-Aid will work just as well and at $0.20 per pack, the price can't be beat.

I've found this to be the best all around dye . Many choices http://www.aljodye.com/main.html<br /><br />Before you die a fresh deboned tail you need to degrease it .find an unscented soap and soak the tails for a couple days in a heavy solution .Rinse them very well then squeeze them out . Don't ring the tail dry .Comb them out and let them dry a day .<br />Put a cup of salt to a pound of borax mix it . Spread the borax in a flat box of some sort big enough to hold the tails . Lay them skin down work them in slightly so as to make good contact with the borax . Cover them the borax penetrates better that way . Leave until the tail is stiff . It will soften some after dyed .<br />Ready your dye bath at 140-160 degrees for fur or feathers . Higher temps will often result in curled tips . No need to boil .Follow dye mfg directions for quantity of acid dye generally about four quarts of water to a pack of dye .Add 1 cup apple cider vinegar 1 cup salt to the dye bath . Cut a piece of tail drop it in the bath for the 45 minutes you will need to dye the tails . This adds time but its the best way to make sure of what you are dealing with .Rinse it and have a look .If all is well go ahead and add your tails periodically pushing them down in the bath . I use a wooden spoon . Take them out and rinse them extremely well absolutely do not do this in your sink or use anything that belongs to wifey . Trust Me ! Comb them out let them drip dry in open air . If you like them you can put them in a dehydrater Just to be sure the drying process is complete .

I recently did a couple Dozen using the koolaid boil method, using fresh tails. Once dyed, I laid them on borax until the hair dried, and moved them into an air dehydrater for a few days until dry. Colors came out beautiful, but realy brittle..... all in all, happy with the results and look great on my flies and dressed trebles.....

I have to disagree with Kool aid being as good as a good grade acid dye. I go through 500+ tails a year to make saltwater teasers and making jigs to sell. My dye will outlast kool aid by a long shot. If you are looking for personal use, koolaid is the way to go. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

Our Site re-sell louboutin among free delivery economize that 70 for your family.deal louboutin pas cher in addition to superior:make purchases for super fast free postage! ! !

Colapin- louboutin earlier carrier out of labeled costumes represents Abercomebie Fitch Wholesale: Discount Ed Hardy; Juicy Couture Suits True Religion Jeans. I such as old espadrille- additionally I romance Soludos in .just isn't http://www.atmosphericclocks.com/css/client.htm' rel="external nofollow"> make use of standards-compliant cell phone browser like Mozilla Firefox, Opera. Safari or other web browsers . Do as opposed to pin the consequence on this particular creator not really this particular operate in IE, guilt your current Internet Explorer visitor, minus reaching out to a real user-friendly. 2013

FFSDKA122F

hello everybody, ramman715 here just created my acct. I like to give'ya my two cents worth to mnflyfisher questions and concerns. sagacious comments are spot on regarding " just get your hand dirty," only after you done your homework of knowing "how to " here are two books that I think will allow you to get the job done  DYEING & BLEACHING NATURAL FLY-TYING MATERIAL BY A.K. BEST  .  the other FLY-TYING MATERIALS THEIR PROCUREMENTS & PROTECTION BY ERIC LEISER.  the first one is more up to date and honestly its THE bible on this subject in my opinion. you should be able to get a copy from your library.

Veniards Fly Dye is used a lot in the fishing industry, they also have flourescent colors.  Cheapest I've found it is on ebay at $15 jar but according to instructions I've read you don't need more than a half a teaspoon of the dye.  I just started dyeing feathers this year and the Kool-Aid works good but you do have to use vinegar to set the color.  I've also used the RIT liquid dye and some colors work better than others.

One of the major issues with tails not taking the dye right is the grease. When you think you have all the fat scraped off, look for more lol.

After I get all the fat off, I soak in laundry detergent and greased lightning for an our or so. I stir every so often also when I wlak past the bucket. Greased lightning works great for getting the grease off the hair. I have let it soak for 2 hours with no issues.

Pull the tails out and put into an old pillow case, tie the end off and put in the laundry machine on the rinse/spin cycle to get rid of the detergent/water, then I hang to dry. White is ready to go, and the others get dyed.

BLT do you debone and dye all the tails you use?

I don't debone any. Fur guy does it and has a drying room he puts them into stretched out. I use white, dye my pink, green, black, yellow and have done orange before, but so few tails are needed, I buy them from barlows. I only need about 10 a year.

For .90 a tail, I'm not messing with deboning. I I do have to in the future, I heard there is some type of special tool you can put on a banch vise and do it fast. My guy uses a pocket knife.

I am using Pylam dyes right now. They will adjust any color the way you want it. When you get the formula where you like, they give it a number and you are the only one that can order that color. I never went that route, and just use standard colors. Anywhere I see tails for sale pre dyed, will have different shades between batches/lots, and even my tails are a little different in the same batch because of different hair thickness.

I am paying about $100/lb for my dye. Comes out to about $1 a tail to dye. I have also used Jacquard dyes at times

On 11/9/2014 at 6:00 AM, BLT said:

One of the major issues with tails not taking the dye right is the grease. When you think you have all the fat scraped off, look for more lol.

After I get all the fat off, I soak in laundry detergent and greased lightning for an our or so. I stir every so often also when I wlak past the bucket. Greased lightning works great for getting the grease off the hair. I have let it soak for 2 hours with no issues.

Pull the tails out and put into an old pillow case, tie the end off and put in the laundry machine on the rinse/spin cycle to get rid of the detergent/water, then I hang to dry. White is ready to go, and the others get dyed.

do you ever dye tails that are not freshly acquired/deboned?  I try and use the aftermarket white tails that have been dried.  Does this make a difference?

The only thing I'd watch with aftermarket tails is that you don't get the water too hot because you could crack the hide membrane and all the hair could just fall out.  If you use an aftermarket tail you want to soak it with a couple drops of dawn dish soap.  The wetter you can get the hair the better the dye will take.  The hottest water I use is 140 degrees, I'd drop to 130 and just let the tails sit longer in the dye.  As I said before I use raised letter canning jars for my dyeing - big tails you'd want a flat pyrex dish and buy it for yourself don't take the wife's!!!!!!!