cavu

Florida Saltwater Charter Reqirements

The more I dig into this, the murker it becomes. Before I retired from the military I aquired my 6 PAC license in anticipation of doing a little charter fishing. Nothing big, just short trips of 9 NM or less in the Gulf of Mexico and a little scalloping and shelling. I have the Capt license ($1000 + or - a few $), know where to get the random drug testing set up (another $50 a yr) and can obtain the Florida comerical fishing license for those who are on my boat ($201.50 yr for 0-4 pass on my boat). Now I am finding out that I must registure my 18 ft Sundance as a commercial vessel ($50)and that I might need some kind of reef permit (state federal and supposedly not available? I can find no reference). All this to take four fishermen out no futher than 9 nautical miles for a mixed catch or take a family out to pick up a few scallops or just walk on the beach and collect shells!

Does anyone here know what is REALLY required for a small business like I want to operate? Heck, I can't find out who I am really dealing with, state or federal and all inclusive what is required. No good asking a game warden most of them don't even fully understand the recreational codes they try to enforce.

Thanks, in advance, Mike

Wow, and I'll bet there are some commercial insurance requirements too, to dip further into your pocket. Is there a Captains', or Guides' Association you can talk to, or something similar to help cut all that red (and gray) tape? That might be another fee, but one actually worth it.

Dean, a former freshwater guide

Good idea Dean. I'll see what I can dig up from that end. To confuse matters even more, I just talked (can't say communicated) to someone from the National Marine Fisheries Service and she said I had to have a reef permit (which is not available anymore) to charter in the Gulf. When I asked her if she met state or federal waters she could not answer and passed me on to someone else. I got their voice mail so I left a message. Itg is a shame when a government agency cannot even answer so simple a question.

Well, here is the scoop for those of you who might be leaning towards a charter business in Florida.

1. First you need a Captain's license from the USCG

2. Then you have to be enrolled in a random drug testing program

3. Your boat has to be registered in Florida and registered as a commercial vessel (this can be done at your courthouse)

4. You will need a "for hire fishing license" and that is priced depending on how many people you will have in your boat. Runs from $210.50 to over $800. (this also can be purchased at your courthouse)

5. Now the good part. if you wish to fish in both state waters (out to 9NM in Florida & Texas, 3 NM all other) and Federal waters, you will need a Reef Fish Permit and a License to fish for highly miagritory species. Neither of these permits/licenses are currently available from the feds. You can, however, get one buy purchasing one from someone who wishes to sell it to you. Latest quote I heard of for a reef permit was $25,000.

6. Although not a state or fed requirement, you will need to look into liabillity insurance for your crew and boat.

Figure about a thousand dollars a year for all this (this does not include aquiring your captain's license. That could cost another $1,500 not to mention the work experience required to qualify). Another point to consider is you cannot sell your catch. That is another altogether different spotted dog. You will need a commercial salt water products license for that!

I hope this helps a little. I have not made up my mind if I am going to go thru with all the requirements or not. I only fish out to the 9NM limit, so the fed requirements are not an issue.