lurebaz

De Gassing Resin Baits

Hi all, i have been making a few resin baits lately adding mico ballons. I was wondering what was the best way to de-gas the final piece. I have tried leaving them alone for upto a week and have still found little holes in the epoxy when coating the finished lure.  I pressume the air is ecaping i even foiled one bait and it swelled up when i left it in a hot car. I am in the process of trying to find myself a compression pot, will this eliminate the problem? also can you use micro bubbles if you are curing under comression.

Thanks in advance

Baz

It is to my understanding that as long as there is a filler (microballoons) involved than there will be the presence of the small holes.  I normally do a thick white base coat, which takes care of them.  Rubbing some wood filler over the surface works alright too.  

Unless you pour a pure resin shell (like demonstrated on Larry Dalhberg's site) and then pour the center, I don't think it's possible to get rid of them.

But on the de-gassing part, you are doing right by leaving the lures out to air.  I normally let them go at least a week, and also run them through the dishwasher before painting.

I also have a small laboratory oven.  I was told by the folks at aeromarine that I could bake the lures for 3-4hrs at 150F.  You do not want to go above 150F do to the isocyanates (spelling), you need good ventilation, and an oven you don't plan to cook food in.  I have since switched to alumilite, and haven't needed the oven as much (though it is nice for warming molds).

i leave mines out for serevral weeks to degas in 90-100 degree weather, it still gets a little bubble underneath the paint on some baits, it gets a little annoying but it doesnt mess up the baits action so its no big problem, i believe the triple trout swimbaits have had the same episodes of bubble under paint, google it up you'll see.

Edited by biggamefish